Lenovo Yoga 2 Battery Drains to 0% while Powered Off (Shutdown)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (not pro). It is relatively new, I've owned it for about two months now. Everything has been working fine, and it's performance/speed has been great; however, recently the laptop battery drains completely after it's been powered down.

Whether the laptop is in sleep mode or I shut it down, it loses complete charge, and I have to plug it in in order to turn it on again. This is turning out to be a very annoying problem, as I don't always want to have to plug in the laptop to power it on. And also, I don't want to keep the laptop plugged in all night as I heard this can damage the battery.

Granted, if the laptop is left off for only an hour or so I still have some power left (but the charge still drops a significant amount). But if I shut down the laptop the night before at full charge and then turn it on in the morning, it will go from 100% to 0%.

All suggestions are appreciated. I would like to explore software fixes before replacing the battery itself. So far, inevitably, I have tried some power cycles because the laptop drops to 0%, I have done many power cycles going from 0% to 100%

Thank you so much!!

Solution
I had the same problem with my laptop. Follow the next steps and you'll solve the problem:

Go to control panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do

From there you can change what the power off or sleep buttons do. You can also change what your computer does when its lid closes.

Good luck!

ZekeKiDD

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015

Nice! This finally worked for me, there was no unchecking option but I disabled it and it worked. I would turn off my laptop at 100% battery, commute to college and when I took it off my bag it was hot like it's been running for the past 2 hours and the battery was down to 65%. Now it's like it was before I upgraded to WIndows 10. The battery stays at almost 100 and it's much faster/easier to turn on. Thanks.

CGSteel

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi Faran52,

Have you encountered any more battery drain to 0% or laptop not waking up from Sleep problems since doing the following ?

Well guys I have a Dell 3542 and I was having the same issue searched for 2 days and this drove me crazy. Well It is because of bad Intel Management Engine Driver if yours is uprgarded to v11 something you don't need to downgrade, just go to device manager->System Devices-> Intel Management Interface->Properties->Power Management and uncheck Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power and try testing now hopefully it will work

Thanks in advance for your help !

CGSteel

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi Faran52,

Have you encountered any more battery drain to 0% or laptop not waking up from Sleep problems since doing the following ?

Well guys I have a Dell 3542 and I was having the same issue searched for 2 days and this drove me crazy. Well It is because of bad Intel Management Engine Driver if yours is uprgarded to v11 something you don't need to downgrade, just go to device manager->System Devices-> Intel Management Interface->Properties->Power Management and uncheck Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power and try testing now hopefully it will work

CGSteel

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi Faran52,

iiqqbbaall

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

Otiggen

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
The battery may well be degraded is you have run it to 0% multiple times.
One thing to check is Event Viewer - look in Windows System and Application logs for evidence the machine was awake during the period you thought it was asleep.
Look in Task Scheduler... anything there waking it up?
Interesting to see in the messages above people mentioning the Intel AMT - if I remember correctly, this is a facility in business standard laptops which lets admins maintain and re-image the machines over the network even if the machine is powered off. I believe it does it because of some kind of ARM like cpu built into the Northbridge.... and I presume if enabled, this facility must be drawing some power even for a machine that is completely off.
(God knows how much fun the NSA must have with this ability)

noamanfarooq

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
I think in your laptop's bios, USB always on option is enabled. I assume you have bought a wireless mouse or wireless headphones or something like that, whose wireless sensor is put and kept in to that USB port all the time whether you turn on or off your laptop and you do not remove that USB sensor form laptop. Therefore it drains your laptop's battery and when you turn it on, whole or maximum charge has been drained due to that USB sensor because its always on and keeps draining your battery charge. Try to check that, if that's your problem, remove your USB sensor from USB charging port to another non charging port to solve the problem or disable USB always on option in bios and if that solve your problem, reply here and share with others too. If not, try changing your laptop's closing lid and power button options. Put your laptops power button and closing lid option to hibernate and then check it. Hope it will help you.

Thanks

noamanfarooq

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
Hello all

Problem:
I have bought Lenovo Y50-70 and may be it was working fine or may be I have noticed it later but I have updated my laptop to windows 10 from windows 8.1 after 2 days of buying my new laptop and after that I have noticed the problem so I am not sure that windows 8.1 was working fine or not.
My Lenovo Y50-70 had a problem of battery drain. When I Hibernated/Shut down the laptop, it drained charge. When I turn it on after few hours, the percentage of the battery was dropped down. Once I left it for more than 24 hrs and the battery was drained from 100% to 0% and I have plugged the charger in to turn it on.

Solution:

I have taken the following steps after noticing the problem and now my battery drain problem has been finished.

1. Day 1: I changed power button and closing lid to Hibernate (But didn't worked)
2. Day 2: I have disabled USB always on option in Bios and removed my external mouse sensor from Charging USB port to another USB port (But didn't worked)
3. Day 3: I have reset my bios to default and unchecked the option of fast boot from Control Panel>Power Options>Choose what the power buttons do>Change settings that are currently unavailable>Turn on fast startup (recommended) and charged my laptop to 100% (It worked)
4. Day 4: Turned on my laptop and now the charge was 98% unlike other days where 40% drop was noticed. May be the 2% difference was due to the reason that I have used laptop few minutes after 100% and due to turning on and hibernating etc.

Now I am not sure that all of the above options have a combined effect or only the last one worked but after day 3, on day 4 my laptop is not draining battery and working just fine.

Test all of the above options one by one and it will work for you.

Thanks

Amr Hamdy

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

I went as you said and when i comes to Properties window i can't find any tabs regarding the Power Managment
i'm using windows 7. and the Intel Management Engine is installed and working on my Laptop.
i used laptop dell insprion 15 3537
please help me

Jatoru

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015
I figured I might share my experience in hopes it may help someone.

I recently purchased a Lenovo y50 laptop with an 1 tb hybrid drive and from the start I noted it was draining battery, even when powered down. It also ran at 100% disk utilization for about 10 minutes after powering it up sometimes randomly spiking to 100% during use.

I figured the drive may be hiccuping or something. I shut it down and listened to it for 20 minutes or so and it made mechanical sounds and the lights would randomly blink on for a second. I figured that's probably my battery problem as well since the drive was not shutting completely off.

After trying every software, system and driver fix I could find, I decided I had a bad drive. So I purchased a new 500 gb Samsung ssd and installed it into my laptop (it's very simple to install there are YouTube tutorials for it, just be careful use the right tools and take a lot of time) and boom my problems are all fixed. Reply to my post if you would like help with installing the ssd or migrating your files (I hear the disk software Samsung includes is pretty bad but I didn't use it.)

Heatmiser22

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

I'm not sure I'm entering this reply correctly, so my apologies if it appears in the wrong place. I am following up on the post by Faran52.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 (11) laptop / tablet with the same power drain issue. I've gone through all the Fast Start, hibernation/sleep options, etc., with little improvement, so I was going to try the Intel Management Interface option. However, once I'm in Device Manager > System Devices, none of the 10 Intel items is Intel Management Interface. Four are named Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework . . . , and 3 are named Pentium (R) processor N- and J- series . . . There is also a Power Engine Plug-in, a Sideband Fabric Device, and a Trusted Execution Engine Interface. Neither Power Engine Plug-in (version 10.0.10586.0) nor the Trusted Execution Engine (version 1.0.0.1050) have any tabs that look anything like Power Management. Suggestions/help? Thanks.

Otiggen

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015

I doubt this can be explained by a bad drive... the drive activity just seems to me to be caused by some software running on the system that didn't want to shut down. Installing a SSD would make any such activity much less noticeable, and in any case it doesn't necessarily happen every boot.
On my system I notice that the laptop won't go to standby when I close the lid when I am running Folding@Home and have the battery set to the "Extended Battery Life" Profile. Just changing the battery Profile to "Dell" (standard) one before shutting the lid resolves that issue".

It seems to me that some kind of good troubleshooting tree is needed for power drain problems which can have many causes.

The issues can perhaps be broadly classified as follows:

Systems that are not configured to user expectations*
Systems that won't go to sleep on command
Systems that unexpectedly wake from sleep
(Rather alarming when they wake in the laptop bag and overheat)
Systems that draw too much power when in Sleep or even Hibernate modes

* By not configured to user expectations...
The actions on shutting the lid, pressing the power button, etc. may change with the selected power profile (on battery, on AC, and power profile selection)... so the user may have inadvertently changed the action to one they did not intend.
Some people think Sleep is useless but I think it is appropriate for some classes of user who usually come back to their machine on at least a daily basis and want a fast startup. In any event, when a system is configured to Sleep first, and then change to Hibernate you should see most of the benefits of Sleep without the large power drain that occurs if by change you don't come back to the machine for several days. At least - if it is working as intended!

Dsossu

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015

Dsossu

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015
Thank you very much BeefSoupreme. I am using Inspiron 14 (3000 series) and had the same problem till I read you post yesterday. I immediately installed Intel Management Interface version 9. It stopped the problem immediately.

ShaunMercury

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

Hi BeefSoupreme,

I am trying to follow your step but when i try to open the version 9 installer it says that "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software."

I tried running in admin mode but to no avail.

Please do get back with a solution, it's really vexing to have the battery die on me especially when I have long days in school!

Cheers!

Otiggen

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
I seem to have found the main problem I was having with battery drain on a Dell Windows Vista laptop - and probably also the cause of short battery lifetime.

I had configured Hybrid Sleep. I expected that this would mean that if not woken within a fairly short time period, it would go into Hibernation and there would be no more power drain. However, what was happening was it would drain the batteries flat after a few days. It seemed that the machine was not managing the transition from Sleep to Hibernate.

The key was to change the timer thresholds to 1 and 2 minutes respectively so I could witness the transition. What happened after about 2 minutes of sleep was that the machine awoke and prompted for the BIOS System password... which of course, if I am not there to provide, prevents it from going into Hibernation.
After requesting the password for 10 minutes it then seemed to go back to the Sleep state - which continues to drain the battery slowly.

This could be a battery killer if you set a plan to hibernate when critical battery level is reached. It is perhaps safer to configure a shutdown at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.