Lenovoy50 Game Freeze

asaonfire

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hey all,
I bought a Lenoyo y 50 (not the 4k resolution) recently. One thing bothers me is about the game freezing frm time to time. I usually play dota2 , which i think doesn't require half of the specs of y 50 to run smoothly. It started all of a sudden with fps drop which continued for a while (1-2 months after purchase) until it was like a 1-2 sec shutter every 5 -10 mins of game. Later ( 3 months +) it started to increase day by day and now the game just freeze while playing. Only thing left will be to force restart my laptop. Any one knows what is causing this problem?. I use high performance mode and use a Cooler Master Notepal xl cooling fan. I got no idea what to do and yes i am using the gtx860m and not the intel hd 4600 as default.

Try this first. If it doesn't solve the issue, we'll go from there.

Download both of these. Display driver uninstaller and the latest NVidia drivers. Run the display driver uninstaller and allow the safe mode reboot when it asks you during the uninstall. Afterwards, install the NVidia GPU driver package.

Display driver uninstaller: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

NVidia driver version 344.75: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79893/en-us

asaonfire

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Think i am using 344.75. But i uninstalled the older version via the uninstaller from nvidia only. Will try this and tell you if its works. thanks for the help.

Ok. I did as u said. Ran the uninstaller and gave yes to reboot into safe mode and uninstalled. So once it restarted into normal mode these are the things i noticed,

1. The Intel HD 4600 Gfx driver is gone( ie no more gfx option for hd4600 when we right click on desktop and in nvidia control panel its just showin integrated graphics as the second gfx option instead of hd 4600).

2. The Nvidia Driver 344.75( like i said i already installed it b4 you posted) is still there.

3. The short key for adjusting Brightness ( Function key + up arrow/down arrow) is not working, in fact i cant even change the brightness.

So the question is this . Do i have to uninstall the 344.75 and install once more?

When you run the uninstaller, there are option boxes to select what type of driver you need to uninstall. Choices are Intel, AMD, and NVidia. You might need to manually select NVidia and run the uninstaller again. Usually the uninstaller, by default, selects whatever GPU you currently have set as the default GPU so if it chose the Intel graphics you probably didn't have the 860m designated as the default GPU no matter what you might think. It's also possible that since you have both Intel and NVidia GPU's it just chose the native one.

Laptops are a little different from desktops in this regard so it could probably go either way. Run the uninstaller again choosing the NVidia option and then reinstall the 344.75 drivers. Also, make sure to go into your BIOS and manually set the iGPU or Intel HD graphics to disabled.

asaonfire

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Yeah. I found it. I accidently deleted Intel HD 4600. Now reinstalled both intel hd 4600 and nvidia 344.75. But a strange thing i noticed was that once i uninstalled hd4600 and ran the dota2 game via nvidia , game didnt load properly . It was like i was playing the game w/o a gfx card. Why is that?

Between i went to bios settings. There is only two option for gfx, Switchable graphics and UMA graphics. Its Switchable gfx by default and when i change to UMA only Intel is available. ANd there is no option to disable the intel card as u said

You probably need to have both sets of drivers installed so I'd go ahead and reinstall the HD graphics driver too. Since you don't have an option to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS, just enable the switchable graphics. You may be able to disable the HD graphics afterwards using an NVidia utility like GPU tweak or MSI afterburner or you may find it to not even be necessary.

asaonfire

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Yeah did both and still its happening. And the sad part is it happened while i was playing a movie in VLC. Between is there any way to chat with u directly like skype or something?

asaonfire

Honorable
May 9, 2012

u think its coz of that? Bought this on August 2014.Between when the game goes irresponsive, the last played sound will loop infinitely.

asaonfire

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Like you said its a gpu problem. I ran the software called Lenovo Service center and checked it to see if there was any hardware problem. I found out that the gtx860m wont pass the stress test. Already contacted Lenovo support and they replied that someone will come for onsite repairing withing 24 bussiness hours. Thanks for your help really appreciate it.