Living with Windows 10: The Best and Worst So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Fast boots should be standard these days regardless of which OS is used because of SSDs. If you still don't have at least one SSD you don't deserve Win 10.

Fr33Th1nk3r

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, I'm going to linux. I don't have a touch screen monitor, nor the desire to touch my 23" monitor. Thanks windows, but you lost me for good. R.I.P.

lorribot

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
The first Win 10 had a usable menu then they changed to pointless. What is the point of live tiles on the start menu? Tiles as shortcuts maybe but Live ones on something that is not visible 95% of the time, really? They should be able to be put on the desktop.
The interfaces are still very a confusing mix of styles as they were in Windows 8, with settings in old and difficult to find locations, MS needs to go one way or other, old school or new wave and stick with it.

As a test of simplicity, try and work out how to enable the enhanced keyboard on the touch screen keyboard, the option is there but greyed out for me and enabling it took an hour to find the location, this is just dumb.

ATL_Tech_Guy

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
Meh, work in progress. Chances are if you don't like something, it's already been reported in the Feedback app. I think they're bringing back some more start menu lists like recent items and possibly favorites.

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I think it's slightly unfair to say the tech preview is buggy. That should be assumed because of its title as tech preview. This is the one opportunity Windows has where it can put a buggy OS into the hands of anyone willing to put up with it. Once we reach launch day, that's a different story, but for now, I think it can be forgiven.

Merry_Blind

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
"For example, I could switch from a "work" desktop with Word, Outlook and Photoshop open to a "play" desktop with a game and a social media feed open.

Unfortunately, you can't save the desktops, so when you reboot your computer, they are gone. I would love to be able to come back to these different work states over and over again."

That sounds great and I hope they do what you suggest!

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
This doesn't look good on our workstations, perhaps it's suitable for home tablets/laptops or 2 in 1s, but I really wished that MS would make a separate version of Windows without the useless apps or touch features and with a redesigned non tablet optimized interface that improves from Win 7. Looks like MS still wants all computing devices whose purpose, peripherals, and target users are vastly different to run the same OS.

paradigital

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
The new "snap" is godawful, and the "assistance" it offers is just in the way. I don't need nor want help in adding a 2nd app to snap left or right, in fact if I snap an app left or right, that doesn't necessarily mean I want a 2nd snapped at all. F*** off with the "help".

The borderless windows are foul, and the fact that tablet mode is unusable is a joke. My Surface Pro will be living with 8.1 for a while yet!

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Thats interesting. Cortana had Conversational Search before Google did. Maybe you aren't using it right?
I surely used it in WP8.1 (English beta) but maybe it doesn't work as fine on the desktop version for now since it's a preview and cortana has just made her appearance :)

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Yeah, I'm going to linux. I don't have a touch screen monitor, nor the desire to touch my 23" monitor. Thanks windows, but you lost me for good. R.I.P.
Nobody with a healthy mind would even think about waving his hands all day long in front of an (oily) enormous screen. And no one ever said you'll be forced to do this in Windows 7-8-"missed"-10. So what's the point of your comment? :-D

RCguitarist

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
"It can wake my SSD-enabled laptop in about 2 seconds and cold boot it in just 10 seconds. Many users who are upgrading from Windows 7 will notice a huge difference."

If that's true, then the only difference I'll notice is a slowdown. My pc with 7 boots up with everything loaded from being completely off in about 7 seconds.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
It works better than 7, even in Beta and you dont need a touch-screen it has a normal desktop. The ignorant hate is ignorant. Try the latest TP then bash it folks. Trying to load it up on my old Pentium MMX right now, worked fine with p2,p3.

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
When will microsoft get it? Although we can use custom start button apps to get the windows 7 feel, if they don't give it as an integrated option people are still gonna be pissed.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
As others have said, I question the author's application/usage of Cortana. As someone with a windows phone and an android tablet (one with cortana and the other with google now), I can tell you that cortana clearly works better. I would be willing to bet that not all of the cortana features have been added to windows 10 yet

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Thats interesting. Cortana had Conversational Search before Google did. Maybe you aren't using it right?

The author clearly has no experience with Cortana outside of the Windows 10 tech preview. On Windows Phone Cortana has fielded follow-up questions just fine, and probably for longer than Siri or Google Now. It seems to me that it just isn't completely functional in the tech preview.

In fact I just tested the EXACT example given on a WP device and it answered me perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.