Logitech Z5500 with ASUS P6X58D-E onboard sound

ankushm999

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hi everyone
I wanted to know whether I should buy a sound card for the Z5500 speakers or will the ASUS P6X58D-E (having Realtek 889) suffice for the speakers? There is also this DAC thing which everyone talks about but I really don't understand anything about it. Please can someone clear up all this for me and tell me exactly what more do I need to buy?

Thanks

G

For Windows users, there is an all-in-one conversion tool in the field of multimedia: Video Conversion, DVD Rip Software. It packs with DVD rip software (DVD Ripper), Video Conversion software, iPod Transfer, iPhone Ringtone Maker. So it can convert any DVD and video to any other video and audio formats such as MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP, RM, RMVB, MP3, AAC, M4A. It also allows you to make your own iPhone ringtone from your own sources. Deal with the sync between iPod to iPod, iPod to PC and PC to iPod.

dvd-software-toolkit.jpg

Functions:
1. Convert DVD to MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc. with super fast DVD ripping speed and excellent image and sound quality.
2. Convert video such as MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc with high speed and excellent sound/image quality
3. Transfer iPod songs and videos from iPod to computer, from computer to iPod, from iPod to iPod.
4. Make your own iPhone ringtone from your own music and videos.
For Mac users, there is also Mac DVD Rip, MPEG Video Converter.

dvd-software-toolkit-mac.jpg

Functions:
1. Convert DVD to AVI, MP4, MOV, MKV, WMV, DivX, XviD, MPEG-1/2, 3GP, 3G2, VOB… video formats, and MP3, AAC, AC3… audio formats on Mac.
2. Convert video such as AVI, MP4, MOV, MKV, WMV, DivX, XviD, MPEG-1/2, 3GP, 3G2, VOB Video, MP3, AAC, and AC3 Audio etc. In addition, the best video converter for Mac can also extract audio from video file and convert video to MP3, AC3, and AAC…as you want.
3. Transfer iPod songs and videos from iPod to Mac, from Mac to iPod.
4. Make iPhone ringtone on your Mac easily from you own music and video

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Well, honestly I don't know what DAC your motherboard has (nor mine for that matter) but in general sound cards have much better analog part than any motherboard.

But lets explain shortly (if I can) what DAC mans - it is part of the sound system that converts digital (discrete) values that are outputted by your sound processor into analog value to the speakers. Thus the name - Digital to Analog Converter. Generally the better DAC the better audio.

However for more details check Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

So do you need sound card? That I guess depends how do you want to drive the speakers - via analog channels or digital connection?

If you drive them through digital connection, you'll need just 1 cable from your PC to the speakers. The DAC processing is done on the speakers themselves (they have build-in sound processor), thus the audio quality is depending largely on the DAC used by the speaker's control pod.

If you're using analog connection, than the audio card will do the DAC stuff and the speakers will not be driven by the control pod (only powered by it).