looking for a laptop to edit on

resh06

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
hi, I'm looking for a cheap laptop to download maya on (since I get it free with my university) I wanted to know which laptop will be best, I will eventually get a desktop but I need a laptop to edit on over Christmas, preferably cheap. I'm looking at the hp stream 11 but I'm not sure if it'll be a good laptop to animate on. Also what should I look out for in the laptop... I've read some comments and it says the RAM, processor and obviously harddrive matters... But all suggestions have been quite expensive. If you could help me understand what is vital in my laptop to animate on, maybe I can go into the store ask for those requirements and see which the cheapest laptop is.

Lucias OKeefe

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Processor sounds like it'll be the killing point for your laptop. If you have to render anything you'll appreciate a more powerful Intel processor to do it faster.

The SSD will make boot times much faster and could theoretically make your work faster. If you need to load a large file, it'll have it ready for you faster. Nice, but if you've got a lot of files you'll appreciate cheaper and larger HDDs over the raw speed.

RAM is useful if you're doing a lot at the same time. You will need the BARE 8 gig for light work but sixteen will probably do you even better. If you have a web browser open with a picture editing program and Maya at the same time you could use it up fast.

resh06

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
Ok, that all makes sense, so I can definitely use that. Thank you.
Do you have any laptops in mind and do you know how much it is? I was looking for something under£500.

Lucias OKeefe

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I really wish I could rattle off a name for you here, but unfortunately I don't follow laptops as much as some people so I wouldn't feel right recommending anything. Thankfully, we live in the age of the internet and if your google-fu is strong many people have done the legwork for you. Look at some toplists and individual reviews.

If I can be any help, drop me a link and I'll do my best to figure out where you might be pleasantly surprised or let down with any given model.

TRENDING THREADS