Looking for a non-gaming laptop, purely for University

kaitlyn.h.ross1

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hey guys.

I need recommendations for a laptop that is <14inch (12 - 13.9 but not 14) that doesn't have gaming abilities. I just want it to run smooth(good processor) and have over 500GB of storage(preferably 1TB).

Any recommendations?

I have thought about the ASUS ZenBook UX310UA - but I'm a bit concerned over the battery life.
However, its price is roughly my budget.

UPDATE:

The specifications on the current Zenbook I'm looking at.
Price: ~$1000 (please keep in mind that the prices are inflated here, I'm not in North America)
Storage: 1000 + 128 SSD
DDR4 memory
8GB ram
I7-8550U
Intel HD Graphics 620

full model name:
Asus Zenbook UX310UA-FC1022T

I really don't want touch screen. My main priorities are lightweight, good/decent battery life and good performance for student tasks and assignments. I don't want the computer the lag every time I click a photo which happens on ALL of my laptops...

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

What config is the zenbook since it has had many many itterations. Also I do HIGHLY recommend you get a laptop with an ssd so you can have a smooth experience all around and of you need some extra storage a simple external 2,5 inch drive will solve that issue. 250gb is enough for most courses that don't require you to have a powerfull machine.

Also what is your budget? Quite hard to recommend laptops without it.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
here you go...

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/Ideapad-720S-13-AMD/p/88IP70S0929

Processor Up to AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Processor (2.20GHz 6MB)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home - Lenovo Recommends Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Display
13.3” FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare
Graphics Integrated AMD Graphics
Webcam/microphone - 720p HD camera with dual-array microphones
Memory - 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz
Storage - 512 GB PCIe SSD
Battery - Up to 9.5 hours battery life
* Based on testing with MobileMark 2014. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, & other factors

kaitlyn.h.ross1

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

So the Zenbook I'm currently looking at has i7-8550U, 8GB of Ram, and 1TB of storage + 128 SSD.
Why would an SSD make the experience better, by the way? Also, since I'm buying it straight from the importer(windows preinstalled) I should expect Windows to correctly be installed on the SSD, right?

I'm not exactly sure what other specifications to give. Also, I live outside of the U.S so the prices here seem quite different.

The Lenovo is way over my budget here, I don't know why it is so expensive compared to the Asus.

Any other models? And what is the expected battery life on the Asus?

I've had really bad experiences with dell, so I prefer not buying from them any more.

However, if a really good offer comes up I'll consider it. I prefer no touch screen.