Looking for a thunderbolt to 2 display port dual monitor solution. Please help, I am stumped.

jonmerlin

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi,
I am considering buying the a ASUS ROG G751JY-DB73X 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop, GeForce GTX 980M 4G. I like this computer because it has a great video card, overkill ram, and both a large ssd with a large internal storage, for a fair price.

Here is the problem. I have 2 monitors (Dell UltraSharp U2412M). I have these same dual monitors both personally at home, and at my office. They support inputs of DVI, DisplayPort, and VGA. The laptop supports display outputs of thunderbolt, hdmi, and VGA. How can I get both monitors hooked up to the laptop? I was considering using a thunderbolt to display port cable and a hdmi to DVI converter cable. However, I am concerned that the laptop might not output a display signal to both at the same time. Would this solution work for dual monitors?

I am open to the idea of a splitter cable or a dual monitor docking station (all though i heard these are notoriously troublesome). I really don't want to change my monitors, so I am open to another laptop, if it has similar specs for a similar price! Hardware experts, what would be your best solution? I am stumped...

I hope one of the experts here can help me out!

According to ASUS you can run 3 displays on that laptop. Exactly what configurations will work, you need to read the manual or contact ASUS support.

Splitter is useless unless you want the same image on both screens, docking stations unless made for the model you have are not very good.