Vynavill

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Previous thread available here: link
This question actually became broader than just about gaming. Again, sorry everyone ^^"

Budget is 400€. main usage is going to be PC gaming, but I'd like to use them for other stuff (music, TV, console gaming), even if ever so often.

By massive amounts of googling, I ended up choosing for one amongst these, in no particular order, and pair it up to a FiiO E11K AMP:
>> Kingston HyperX Cloud II
>> Sennheiser PC 363D
>> Sennheiser RS 175 (plus Antlion ModMic v4)
[strike]>> Audio Technica ATH-AG1[/strike]
[strike]>> Audio Technica AT-A700X (plus Antlion ModMic v4)[/strike]

Which one, in your opinion, is the best and why? Should I seek out for something else?
Should I get a DAC or a sound card as well? (currently on an embedded Realtek ALC1150)

EDIT: Had to remove Audio Technica...that "3D suspension" system is putting me a bit on the defensive. No one sells them around here, and I'm not sure they'll fit with their particular design...

To answer RazerZ in the previous thread (and add in some extra info for anyone else that may read this).

Actually...no sound preferences? Sounds weird, I know, but I can pretty much go from classical music to power metal, then jump on jazz and end up on some light techno...
I really could listen to everything, although I can't stand dance/electronic dance music (bass heavy silly tracks you hear into clubs lately) and dubstep.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Alright nothing bass heavy... you might like a pair of open back headphones. A warm, neutral, or bright sound signature should likely be a good choice for those genres. Do you prefer a more energetic or laidback sound (do you listen to fast paced music?)

Will sound leakage be a problem?

Vynavill

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Actually, bass can be heavy, as long as it's not overpowering; I just don't like music that runs off the idea that stronger and prominent bass equals higher quality.
In short, bassy can be more than fine, but that doesn't mean it has to be boomy.
As per fast paced, be it music or a videogame's soundtrack, I do look for it, but once again frown on it if it's excessive.
A couple examples of that could be "Dragonforce" (vocals balance out the usually prominent guitar/drums), "Rhapsody of Fire" (spot on), or a game's track, "Mana Khemia 1 - Nefertiti" (almost spot on).
Then, for some absurd reason, let's say something like this makes its way into the playlist...instant skip-and-delete.

I'm not sure what you mean by energetic or laidback. Can you provide some examples?
And sound leakage will be a problem if it's excessive. My current set is semi-open, and sound leaks out at higher volumes, but is usually contained within a 1m~1.5m radius from me.
No issues as long as it's like that, but plenty of issues if someone can clearly hear what I hear from the next room :)

Vynavill

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Change of plans.
My current headset died on me yesterday and I have no replacement besides the integrated monitor speakers.

If there's no feedback about a better solution by then, I'll be ordering the PC 363D in about [strike]5 hours (eligible for an Amazon 1-day delivery)[/strike] (EDIT: See next post).
Thank you everyone, anyway

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Have you already ordered ? Sorry for the late reply. The PC 363D is a good headset but a little overpriced.

Lol at darude sandstorm, the answer to everything.

Energetic vs laidback... for energetic think of a fun, in your face sound with lots of treble energy and punchy, fast bass.

Laidback is the exact opposite. A distant, recessed sound which is not as fatiguing but is also noticeably slower and drawn out. Instead of sitting in the front row you will be setting towards the back.

For those songs either one could be a good choice, it all would come down to personal preference.

Vynavill

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Already ordered, but it turns out 1-day delivery was for prime users only (and I don't want that :p), plus I got back home from work late enough; the expected delivery date is for Sep. 18th, so I assume I'll have time to cancel the order up until tomorrow.
I've read they're a bit overpriced, with plenty opting out for the cheaper PC360D, but coming from a 5.1 headset I wanted to try out dolby on PC, as my embedded ALC1150 doesn't support virtual surround, as far as I know.

Anyways, energetic vs laidback. I'll happily listen to both depending on the mood, but I guess I somewhat favor energetic more than laidback; the examples I made sounded on the "energetic" side, at least. As I've said already, besides some very specific electronic genres I pretty much listen to anything, but I could say I usually tend to stay close to energetic genres.

Edit: "...Aaaaand they're gone". The Sennheisers are on their way.
Thank you for the help anyway; if you want, leave your recommendation anyway. It might help someone else on similar conditions that might stumble upon this.

Best answer edit:
Ok, Sennheisers had issues on their way (dat luck).
I eventually cancelled the purchase and went with a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, plus a ModMic v4.

The headphones are a blast. As far as audio quality is concerned, it's perhaps one of the best purchases I've ever done until now.
Plus, the customizable bass and the detachable nature make carrying it and using it with different sources a bit easier.
The mic is a bit of a letdown, even if it's praised by many as one of the best. It's hard to direction and a bit uncomfortable, and it doesn't pick up audio good enough unless you take the foam off.

Just wanted to add up my opinion on the current stuff I'm playing with.
Thanks for the help anyway.

bypostbg

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Only way for me to get something better than overpriced on-ear/in-ear Beats/Philips...
O0gxt3