Looking for audio controller/mixer

Gurran

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
First I would like to say I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for terminology wise, so my title may be "off" from what it should be.

Sources:

• ■ USB Microphone
    ■ 5.1 Optical S/PDIF (Sound Card)
    ■ Computer 1 Speaker Jack
    ■ Computer 2 Speaker Jack

Inputs:

• ■ Computer 1 Microphone Jack
    ■ Computer 2 Microphone Jack
    ■ 5.1 Optical S/PDIF (Speakers)

What I need is a way to connect any source to any input and adjust the volume/amplification of all inputs and sources independently. I don't care if I have to buy adapters, whether it's digital or analog, etc. So long as it works.

P.S.: I can use the 3.5mm jacks on my sound card instead of S/PDIF optical, but I would prefer to use optical over analog.

Solution
1. For microphone, USB switch box would be better solution. "Driver-less" does not mean there are no drivers - just they are built into every modern PC operating system. I'm using this box to switch wireless keyboard/mouse combo between two computers.

2. Line inputs would be much better, and will provide for better SNR (signal-noise ratio).

3. If there's going to be only one audio path, a sound mixer with multiple outputs would do a job. Having multiple independent switchable paths will move you into professional equipment, and I am not an expert there. If these speakers are powered, and no mixing, simple A-B speaker selector (to switch two outputs between headphone / speakers) should be all that you need.
1. USB microphone is as no-go. It can go only to smart USB device, with appropriate drivers (read: PC)
2. Microphone jacks are not ideal inputs for line-level signals all sound equipment produces.

How many sound paths you want to have at the same time? Do you need any mixing (eg multiple inputs to single or multiple outputs)?

Gurran

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

It's a driverless microphone, if that helps any at all. I can use it on basically anything. I used it on Linux and it worked like a charm.

So what do you recommend? Use the line in? Or step-up/down something?

Well I at least need to connect the the speakers to computer 1, some headphones to computer 2, and the microphone to both computer 1 and computer 2. Mixing the audio source from computer 1 to the input to computer 2 would be nice, but not required.

1. For microphone, USB switch box would be better solution. "Driver-less" does not mean there are no drivers - just they are built into every modern PC operating system. I'm using this box to switch wireless keyboard/mouse combo between two computers.

2. Line inputs would be much better, and will provide for better SNR (signal-noise ratio).

3. If there's going to be only one audio path, a sound mixer with multiple outputs would do a job. Having multiple independent switchable paths will move you into professional equipment, and I am not an expert there. If these speakers are powered, and no mixing, simple A-B speaker selector (to switch two outputs between headphone / speakers) should be all that you need.

Solution

Gurran

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

The problem with the switch box is I need the audio to hit both at the same time. I might be able to use the Pi Zero I have laying around to "convert" it to analog. Plug it into the Pi and use a GPIO based audio port.

The second PC may not have a line input, but the primary will for sure. I can play around with that.

I believe the speakers I will be getting for this system is powered, especially since it's a 500 watt surround. computer 1 should always be using the speakers. computer 2 should always use the headphones. But what I really wanted in the switchable paths is the input. The mic should always be selected on computer 1, but computer 2 should be able to use the same as the speakers.