Looking for recommendations for a good pair of headphones

g-unit1111

Distinguished
My old ones I had shorted out on me and I'm looking to get something different. Main recs are that it must be completely over the ear, noise-cancelling, have a detachable cord and a carrying case since I travel a lot and don't want them to get damaged or broken in my backpack. My budget is between $200 - $300.

I've been looking at these to give a good idea of what I am looking for:

http://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-mode-noise-canceling-headphones

Oh and no Beats By Dre. :non:

i'm not sure about klipsh headphones but i can say that i'm very happy with my home theatre speakers made by klipsh.

personally i'm not much for noise cancelling headphones. i tried out a few pairs and the sound gets noticibly distorted through them. just by being completely over the ear will reduce ambient volume levels a bunch.

they dont have noise cancelling or a removable cord but do come with a soft bag and are of a fold up design....i've been using my audiotechnica ath-m50. the cord is a bit on the long side but its a studio monitor type pair of phones.

as far as hardcases go, i've seen a few that were on amazon which should fit. the soft bag has worked for me so far (well they survived a few plane trips!).

--

if you wanted a model with a shorter cord and absolutely required noise cancellation....not much i can say except dont look at bose. as far as beats by dr dre... i agree they are worthless.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
if you wanted a model with a shorter cord and absolutely required noise cancellation....not much i can say except dont look at bose. as far as beats by dr dre... i agree they are worthless.

Definitely not a big Bose fan - it was the "premium" sound system that came with my car - and playing the same music on my car as on my Klipsch 2-channel speaker system - I can say without question that the Klipsch easily beats it.

And yeah Beats By Dre are worthless - you're paying $400 for a fashion accessory disguised as a sound system. Although on the flip side, I did have a chance to try out the Beats By Dre iPod dock - I liked it. :lol:

personally i'm not much for noise cancelling headphones. i tried out a few pairs and the sound gets noticibly distorted through them. just by being completely over the ear will reduce ambient volume levels a bunch.

That's why I am looking for Over-the-ear, although what happened to Newegg's selection? They used to have hundreds of different kinds and all of a sudden they all disappeared.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 202 closed on ear phones that cost well less than $100 and they sound fine to me. If you want to spend more check out the more expensive Sennheisers, Beyers, and especially the Grados.
Dave

tbph.. the bose system in my car actually sounds pretty good. i would have obiously went with a different brand given a choice but i am definitely not unhappy with it in the least.

not sure, i buy headphones at retail stores. the one i listed above i got at guitarcenter. at $150 or so i thought its a steal for how great they sound.

i've heard sennheiser is a pretty good brand as well.