Looking for software to send sms messages from PC

Balic Blackthorn

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
With AOL messenger going away in December, I am looking for another program where I can send sms messages to my friend's mobile phone from my PC, preferably free. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
You should be able to send them via e-mail. Essentially the format is phonenumer@smsprovider.com; here's a list of provider's e-mail domains for sms: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-send-free-text-messages-online/

Balic Blackthorn

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

I appreciate the reply, but what I am looking for is basically a chat client that I can go back and forth with them in real(ish) time. Email would be a bit unwieldy to carry on a conversation in.

Balic Blackthorn

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
https://slack.com/ , correct?

I poked around in it some. Which specific app do you d/l to PC to do the messaging?

Balic Blackthorn

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

I just downloaded it and tried it, but it doesn't look like I can use this without a smartphone (which I don't have...never had a need as I am almost always near a PC). Setup wants me to scan a code with my phone and I can't proceed further without doing so :(

Balic Blackthorn

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

I found the app and installed it, but my dumb self can't find a way to send SMS messages to my friend's phone. Do I have to have him join up and then it will let me, or am I missing something else?

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
They need to install slack on their phone. When they receive a slack message on their phone, it will pop up like a text message (even on the lock screen). So it behaves like text, but doesn't actually use sms. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Balic Blackthorn

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Ah. Yeah, in this case I need to use actual SMS, because my friend doesn't have internet access at work.