grmackintosh

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Hi all,

A while ago, I spilt some coke on my laptop's keyboard, and ever since the keys on the numpad have been sticky, but the computer still worked perfectly good besides that. However, yesterday, while the machine was out, but not on, some water was knocked onto the machine, coincidentally in the same spot as before, the numpad. I opened it up, and let it dry out for a few hours, and then booted it up to check if everything still worked. To my surprise, the coke hadn't done any damage, but now my caps lock key seems to be acting as F9 (I know this because my volume keeps increasing, which is what F9 does on this computer), as well as my v and b keys no longer working at all. I initially thought that it may be due to some water between the caps lock and F9 keys, which maybe shorted it out, causing the wrong key to be pressed, but that doesn't seem to work with two keys not working outright. I've opened up the CD drive (directly underneath where the spill occurred) to provide more airflow, and taken off the plastic on the bottom, but I'm worried that this is a 'fried keyboard', which I've heard comes with a costly repair.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion 15-E013tx.

If anyone could give me further information as to what is happening with the keyboard, if drying it out is going to help me (this happened about 48 hours ago, and it's still drying), and what any associated repair costs would be, that would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks for helping,
grmackintosh.

Solution

I'd give it another day or two to dry fully, then if it isn't functional I would open it up and check inside.

RAZER Gamer

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Here is a quick guide on how to save your laptop for a liquid spill:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

In summary:

1) Turn the laptop off. Immediately remove the AC adapter and the battery. ...
2) Unplug all peripherals such as mice and wireless cards.
3) Turn it upside down immediately. ...
4) Clean the spilled liquid. ...
5) Examine the keyboard. ...
6) Clean the sticky residue. ...
7) Then you have to clean the insides of the machine

grmackintosh

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, I did most of that, I've left it drying out now. In your opinion is it fried or is drying out still of use?

RAZER Gamer

Estimable
May 27, 2015

I'd give it another day or two to dry fully, then if it isn't functional I would open it up and check inside.

Solution

grmackintosh

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Okay thanks for your help :)