Looking for the best GAMING headPHONES I can get for around 150$ max.

Kyeza

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
Hi lads,

Topic says most of it. I've got a pretty good samson mic myself, so I don't want to pay 60 bucks more for a headSET that most probably has less audio quality than headphones that cost about the same.

I'm looking for good FPS headphones.I've been playing Rainbow Six Siege beta and I'm quite tired of terrorists sneaking from behind and blowing me up because I can't hear if they're coming from my left/behind or from upstairs/downstairs.

Cheers!

Solution

I use the Sennheiser HD 558 myself for gaming, and it works great. I use it with the FiioE10K desktop amp/dac. Clear audio, with great soundstage and positioning. The 558HD should work great with the onboard soundcard too, as modern integrated sound cards are good enough for most people, and the 558HD isn't really hard to drive either.

sizzling

Distinguished
Agree with above, the surround sound on gaming headsets does not work. A good quality stereo set will give better audio quality. I really like Bose, tried some sennheiser but never found one I liked as much as my Bose ones

Kyeza

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
That's exactly what I thought myself. Yet, when I asked a friend of mine that knows about this sort of stuff, he told me that these studio headsets are often meant for music and that the audio isn't meant for gaming, resulting in certain heights and depths being very clear, but footsteps for example not being clear.

sizzling

Distinguished

He is mixed up. A good quality audio set will give a better sound reproduction through the whole range, however gaming headsets tend to have over emphasized bass which makes certain noises stand out more but I can say my Bose give far more detailed audio in games for picking out footsteps or someone around a corner reloading

Lag

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

I use the Sennheiser HD 558 myself for gaming, and it works great. I use it with the FiioE10K desktop amp/dac. Clear audio, with great soundstage and positioning. The 558HD should work great with the onboard soundcard too, as modern integrated sound cards are good enough for most people, and the 558HD isn't really hard to drive either.

Solution

I think you need to rethink how much your friend "knows about this sort of stuff". A good classical soundtrack is beyond the complexity in rendition you'll ever see (hear) from a video game. If you can't hear something with studio headsets, it wasn't possible to hear it in the first place.

Get a decent set and you'll be happy.