Looking to create a home-audio setup need advice on receiver and other items...

Lazmarr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

I am looking to create an audio setup to play LPs, listen to music, watch movies and play games.

This will be my first setup and have a budget of £600. I'm looking at getting a turntable, receiver and speakers.

I have my eyes pretty much set on the Sony PS-HX500 as it has the features I need, allowing me to digitise records, and will work out the box; since it has built in phone preamp output and can be plugged right into my PC.

What I'm looking for is some advice and recommendations on what items to get as I don't really know much about receivers or speakers. I have heard good things about Cambridge Audio and their Topaz SR20 looks quite good, albeit a bit pricey, and so do their speakers.
I would like the receiver to have a quality phonostage and be capable of plugging in all of my devices; PC, Record Player, PS4, TV, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Speakers.
As for speakers I would like some recommendations. I'm not a bass head or anything and prefer my music to sound as close or quite close to the original (I do my main listening with my AKG Q701 headphones if that helps), but their requirements must be the bookshelf kind.

I don't mind staggering my purchases and getting one or two of the items at a later date, if something is much better at a higher price rendering it out of budget, as long as the record player works haha

Any help, advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated :)

Solution
i'm a big fan of klipsch. the horn design gives a really nice crisp and bright treble signature. dome tweeters are generally a bit more mellow. i have the satellite sized version but i've heard the bookshelves in person and wish my budget for a 5.1 was large enough to use them.

pioneer, yamaha, onkyo, denon all make decent receivers. i have a pioneer myself and it has been great other than the amp-protect mode bug. we have a sony in the other room which while very cheap has worked well for us.
i'm a big fan of klipsch. the horn design gives a really nice crisp and bright treble signature. dome tweeters are generally a bit more mellow. i have the satellite sized version but i've heard the bookshelves in person and wish my budget for a 5.1 was large enough to use them.

pioneer, yamaha, onkyo, denon all make decent receivers. i have a pioneer myself and it has been great other than the amp-protect mode bug. we have a sony in the other room which while very cheap has worked well for us.

Solution
The Cambrige SR20 is a fine sounding receiver. Certainly better than more entry level stereo receivers like Onkyo or Yamaha.
Speakers are very much a matter of taste. Take some of you own music (not mp3) and listen to different speakers. Cambridge dealers should have some other options in speakers other than Cambridge. You might like Wharfedale or Acoustic Energy. They might also have some used speakers. That would let you stretch your budget and get better sound.
When you start ripping LPs set the software to at least 24 bit 96 khz. That way you will get the best rip you can. You can always convert the HiRes files to smaller ones but not vice versa.