Looking to upgrade and get into the VR WORLD (SHOULD I WAIT)

Travis08

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hello people.
i'v got an old AMD FX (R9 270x x2) system and its done me well over the years, but now i really want to get into the VR game! I'm looking to upgrade my old system maybe with a 7700k and a 1080ti and get a rift of vive. My question is, is it too late? Should i do it now or wait for the next gen of VR? Would a high end system now not be enough for the next gen of VR?

Thanks!!

Solution

The 1080 Ti is almost overkill at the moment, so yeah it's plenty.

VR games in the next few years will likely want to launch on as many headsets as possible, so there's a decent number of people who can buy them. Eventually you would have to move on, but by that time you'd probably want to upgrade to a better (and likely cheaper) headset anyway.

By the way, Acer and HP will be launching their VR headsets in August. They're going to be...

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016
Do you have a game that you'll enjoy enough to want to invest in a new system? That's my problem. I like the concept of VR, I have a 5 year old sandy bridge system, but I haven't found a game that I think will hold my interest long enough to want to invest that kind of money.

Travis08

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Yeah i know what you mean theirs not really a AAA VR game out there yet just alot of tech demos but i just really want to get into it. i love the idea of a tactical fps shooter in VR thats what i really want!

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016

I'm going to wait until I find a game that's worth investing the time and money in. I'd hate to purchase a vr rig now, only to find out it doesn't meet the necessary system requirements, for when a worth while vr game comes out in the future.

Travis08

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Yeah that's exactly what i'm worried about right now. What if i spend the money and upgrade everything, get a headset then later on next gen headsets come out and they have 4K displays or something and my system cant handle it. I'd be back in the same boat i'm in now

Sakkura

Distinguished

Well, there's Onward.

There are also a lot of other high quality games trickling in over time. It's not like last year.

There's more good content available, and the price is lower (if you go for the Rift, which is the better value right now). So it's a better time to buy in than ever.

It will be a long time before real gen 2 devices arrive. There are some more alternatives on the way soon(ish), but not anything that'll be head and shoulders above the Rift and Vive.

Travis08

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

hmm you've given me a lot to think about.

Will a 1080ti be enough for any game in the rift or vive? do you think if and when the next gen comes out will those games be cross compatible with the old head sets? I'm seriously thinking if doing it its just a large sum of money for me:D

Thanks

Sakkura

Distinguished

The 1080 Ti is almost overkill at the moment, so yeah it's plenty.

VR games in the next few years will likely want to launch on as many headsets as possible, so there's a decent number of people who can buy them. Eventually you would have to move on, but by that time you'd probably want to upgrade to a better (and likely cheaper) headset anyway.

By the way, Acer and HP will be launching their VR headsets in August. They're going to be cheaper, $299 and $329, but there are some tradeoffs in the feature set. If you're very much on the fence it might not hurt to just stick around and see how that launch plays out. Especially when it comes to how the whole software environment reacts and develops.

Solution