Indy van Weijen

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Dear all,
I was working in a notepad file that I downloaded from my Hotmail account.
I followed these steps: clicked file | download | open
When I was done for the day, I wasn't thinking clearly and only pressed 'save' and closed the file.
I know IE should store files like these in a content.IE folder.
I checked paths like Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\9FDET4JE
I tested downloading the same file again and it gives me a 'filename(1)', so the file is stored somewhere.
I tested downloading a different file, but they all bring you to different temp internet folders (word files, .jpg etc)
Anyone got any suggestions for how to get back to the file?

Solution
The file is still saved somewhere, since it automatically wants to save as 'filename(1)' when I save it again. This means there is already a file 'filename' in some location somewhere right?
Not necessarily (it could be that IE remembers the file even though it's deleted it), but it makes it a little more likely.

I suggest you try not to write anything to your disk, and download one of the many file undeleters.
When you have the second file open, go 'Save as'. Do not actually save it. This should tell you what directory the file is in.

You might need to go up another directory level - each file might be in a separate folder.

If you can't find it, try searching your entire home folder (with hidden files/folders turned on) for 'filename'. If that fails, turn to data recovery software or re-do your work.

Indy van Weijen

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Indy van Weijen

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I tried most of the above,
When I try to 'save as', it gives me Libraries/documents, but that folder is empty. My guess is that it uses that as a default map to save files that are originally stored in a temporary map.
I have already turned hidden folders on and I have searched for the file automatically and manually everywhere.
The file is still saved somewhere, since it automatically wants to save as 'filename(1)' when I save it again. This means there is already a file 'filename' in some location somewhere right?

Not necessarily (it could be that IE remembers the file even though it's deleted it), but it makes it a little more likely.

I suggest you try not to write anything to your disk, and download one of the many file undeleters.

Solution