This has happened several times before. If I accidentally have my left hand touching the touch pad of my laptop & try to scroll with my right hand the pointer will freeze for a few seconds & I'll no longer be able to scroll (the scroll icon doesn't show up or anything).
Usually when this happens I'll just shut my laptop & wait a moment before opening it & I'll be able to scroll again. But that doesn't seem to be working nay more.
Do uninstall/reinstall the Touchpad driver of your laptop that may fix the issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Touchpad driver. To uninstall, right click on the Touchpad driver and select Uninstall.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer of the laptop.
- If you can't download from the manufacturer site, just reboot your laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically upon reboot.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if this resolves the issue.
- If it doesn't work run System Restore and restore it to an earlier date or time when the scroll function was still working.
- Here's how to run System Restore: http/windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc