MacBook Pro expansion Graphics

Lee8492

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Hey, first post here, so bear with me. I have a MBP, 2010-11, 13 inch. Dual booting with windows, and have installed 8gb of RAM. Now I'm trying to play some heavyweights in gaming on it, and from my Windows experience index, it seems the bottle neck is my Integrated Graphics unit (Intel HD 3000). I'd like to change that, and get a DECENTLY PRICED GPU externally (or internally if I could, but don't think I can.) I've been reasurching my options , and I'd like to know what you think I have for options. My dream GPU would be the Nividia GTX 970, but it is about my max for prices. What can I do to either improve FPS from my IGPU, or go through with this plan?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You might be able to build an eGPU like the one in the Anandtech link I sent you. Using in Windows should be straight forward (where I assume you are playing most games), but getting to work in OSX is likely not to work well (if at all).

How much are you willing to spend on this effort?

Lee8492

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Yup, I kind of thought that. I think I can find it cheaper somewhere other than factory. Clearly the eBay guy did, as he has the whole assembly there for 500, plug and play. He must have made it for less, or would be losing money by selling it.
(Cat included)

Woody1999

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

You're not going to get a good gaming laptop for the price you're willing to spend on an eGPU. Personally I would just build a good desktop and then use the MacBook Pro for light gaming when you're out and about.

What's your budget? Around £500?

Here ya go: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vfBhZL

That'll get you better performance than any gaming laptop.

Woody

Lee8492

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I don't think I can find the room for a desktop. However, if I need a new laptop (which I will in the next 2 years) I'll have a 2,000$ budget, meaning I can get an Acer ROG series, and still be kind of portable.