Making digital TV reception work

Erik_S

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I recently purchased a cabin in a rural, wooded area. There is a 6' foot high or so TV antenna in the yard, with a coax cable that reaches inside to the TV set. But all I get on the TV set is snow, and I'm guessing the antenna is from pre-digital TV transmission days. An indoor digital antenna does not help. I don't know that the antenna ever worked, but I'm guessing that maybe it did prior to digital transmission days. My question is whether there is any way to use that antenna to enhance a digital antenna. Can the two play together in any scenario? As I say, it's a wooded area with even poor cell phone reception, so I wouldn't be surprised if TV reception is impossible. But I'd like the input of someone knowledgeable in this area -- which I'm certainly not. Thanks in advance.

Unless you are fairly close to the digital transmitters you will not get anything. A very large amplified antenna made for digital TV might work. Check your location here:
http://www.antennaweb.org/
Otherwise Direct TV or Dish may be your best bet. If your internet access is fast then try netflix, hulu or vudu.

Erik_S

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Erik_S

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Thanks. According to your link I am a little less than 30 miles from a couple of stations requiring a medium multidirectional antenna and about the same distance from a couple requiring a medium directional antenna. Assuming I were to go with the multidirectional, would it need to be mounted outdoors, high up because of the trees? And am I correct in thinking I really wouldn't know whether it would work until I tried it?

I'm unwilling at this moment to add a monthly bill for Internet, cable or satellite -- I'm paying more than enough for all of that at my main home. I'd rather settle for being limited to DVD's than add another monthly bill. I wondered whether a one time hardware expense could get me a couple of channels.

So any additional thoughts would be very welcome. Thanks!

jamestaylor84

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I think if you install a digital tv antenna, your TV reception will work properly and you will be able to watch all your favourite channels without any problem.

TRENDING THREADS