Man With Hitler Speech as Ringtone Faces Jailtime

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boop334

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Wow! What a load of nonsense. No civilian casualties? Russia single handedly defeated? Please do some research before posting fallacies like this. I realize you have no knowledge of History but why not start by researching how many locomotives that Russia produced during the war which btw = 0 and then look at the American lend-lease program to Russia and England as well. Then take a look at the numbers of U.S. civilians dtained and killed in the PTO. As an avid historian crap like this makes blood shoot out of my eyes.[/citation]

I fully agree this Silmarunya guy is an "interesting character", without America Europe would be speaking German and the third reich would be still in existance! America essentially single handedly defeated the japs and in europe and africa we led the way and dominated there! God Bless the USA

nickz3535

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]Don't bother, Silmarunya. Most of these people you're arguing with have an extremely biased view of America's involvement in WWII due to the crap that's taught in our public education system. According to textbooks, dontcha know, we were singlehandedly responsible for winning the war.And sorry guys, Stephen Ambrose doesn't count as an authority on WWII history, for obvious reasons.[/citation]

Thank you so much. Glad to hear that there's another American out there that can see through his senior year of high school education.

boop334

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I actually agree with the other guy... A veteran certainly has first hand horror stories which i will never understand or have anything to even compare to. However, a historian will have studied the war for years. A veteran knows of only his battalion... Of course if said historian is also a vet then perfect!Google up the human losses in WWII… Soviets lost a total of 14% of their population!!USA = .32%[/citation]

That is because in soviet russia they just threw all of their citizen an ppsh 41 and told them to charge the germans making them all cannon fodder!

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]the American role in Allied victory is next to nothing - Soviet Russia single handedly destroyed Germany with British air support[/citation]

How in the world did you come to that conclusion? Britain bombed during the nighttime, while it was the American pilots who did the daytime bombing runs which were much more precise, and much more dangerous.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
this is just stupid. what happened to freedom of speech and thoughts ?

This is Germany where Adolf killed many people. It would be the equivalent of the KKK going around singing 'death to all [insert racist verbiage here]'

I do believe in freedom of speech but there has to be limitations.

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]I'm getting a strong feeling you never studied Islam in general, much less Islam in the West. But that's okay, you're probably one of these idiots who thinks the average Muslim is proud of Al Qaida.But you're wrong. Most Muslim Imams even denounce Al Qaida and other scum on the margin. A Fatwa was recently written against them, and that's pretty heavy (the closest thing we have in Christianity would be a Papal Bull). In the eyes of a normal Muslim, blowing yourself up and plotting to destroy the West is as acceptable as raping every single child we encounter in the street is to us.[/citation]

Voted down by mistake.. :( sorry man +1000

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]And what about the T34? It outperformed the American Sherman by miles and was produced in vast numbers. Or the Sturmovik plane that destroyed entire German military units? Or the JS3 Heavy Tank that was so powerful the British and Americans spent years trying to devise a way they could even stand a grain of chance should Stalin suddenly have turned aggresive on the West? Or the Stalin Organs that threw German forces in disarray? You're referring to supply problems that plagued Soviet forces in the beginning of the war, but please get your facts strait before saying the only advantage the Soviets had were numbers. That's something German propaganda said, but not the German generals (I quote Guderian: "the only way to deal with the T34 would be to copy it")[/citation]

I think the point precisely was that the USSR was able to recover from those production shortages in the early years BECAUSE of the lend lease act. IL-2's did not come into play in the early part of the war. much of the Soviet Air Force planes were crap. Meanwhile the USA supplied them with P-39 Aerocobras after their air force was decimated in the opening days of Barbarossa.

As for the T-34, yes it was a fine tank, but it also racked up kills against Pz IIIs and IVs, far more inferior tanks. These are the same tanks the Shermans went up against in N. Africa, which the Shermans proved to be a better tank. yet the Shermans also fought the Panther and Tiger in Normandy, Belgium and Germany. The T-34s were not superior to the Panther or Tiger. Both had better armament and armor. The T-34 was successful because it was mass produced, easy to use/repair, versatile because of its wide track and benefited from the later tactics developed by the Soviets. (Early on, the T-34 was tactically ineffective in small numbers).

Yes, the Russians suffered higher casualties. That's obvious from the fact that the USSR was invaded, whereas the USA was not. However, but for the second fronts in N. Africa, Sicily, Italy and France, the USSR would have had a more difficult time defeating the Nazis. Why do you think Stalin begged for a second front?

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I AM LOVING THIS DEBATE!!
this is the main reason why we should have freedom of speech.. making mistakes and posting wrong facts IS freedom of speech..
having your post critized and corrected IS freedom of speech..
expressing yourself is THE freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is like an animal.
It runs,
It roars and bites.
It also tries to escape when captured,
And will always try to be there,
(when you need it).
It is each human's pet,
And alone he is responsible for it.
He must not forget to feed it,
And control it,
should he try to bite someone else's.

tornitron

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Germany's censorship and apathy about the Nazis is only going to lead to the creation of another monster like Hitler.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Whenever there is a thread involving freedom of speech or cencorship there is always someone who thumbs down, tells to shut, tries to censor or get a user blocked/banned, etc.You do all realise the irony here don't you?[/citation]

Just a small note.

"Freedom of speech" as defined in the US Constitution prohibits congress's ability to censor the people. It does not mean we can say whatever we want (yelling fire in a crowded theater or making threats). It certainly does not prohibit a private entity's ability to restrict speech within its operations (online forums, dress code at place of work).

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Silmarunya, you need to learn some history.

1. It was the "Soviet Union" that fought WW2, not Russia.
2. If the contribution to WW2 is measured with sacrifices, then the Chinese would rank just behind the Soviets because they lost over 20 million people also.
3. Research on who provided the Soviet Union with trucks, locomotives, transport planes, and most important of all AvGas to power their fighters.
4. Soviet Union never fought in the Pacific theater during WW2. Declaring war on Japan on Aug. 7th, 1945, didn't count.
5. Stalin drove the Soviet army to the ground just to reach Berlin. The Red Army was pretty much spent by May of 1945. The western allies watched in glee.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]This is Germany where Adolf killed many people. It would be the equivalent of the KKK going around singing 'death to all [insert racist verbiage here]'I do believe in freedom of speech but there has to be limitations.[/citation]

KKK rallies are actually legal in the US. Nazis may spew a lot of hatespeech but what about Muslims or the pope condemning homosexuals and unbelievers, I would consider that to be hatespeech as well.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Because Germany has limited freedom of speech but full freedom of religion it would be interesting to see what would happen if nazis declared Hitler their god and Mein Kampf their scripture...

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I have to agree with Silmarunya on virtually every point. I've spent decades researching WWII, there are excellent sources now that the Soviet archives are open. What becomes clear is that Barbarossa marked the high point of the German War effort. When it failed there was no possibility of a German victory in the East and all their following offensives were aimed at theater objectives and not overall victory. (Stalingrad, Kursk). That failure occurred before the U.S. entered the war (an entry which was barely felt by the Germans as indicated by the divisions they committed to defend against the new threat). Russian losses when the campaign were tremendous -- as were their losses in their earlier offensives (Mars, etc.) These were due largely to Stalin's ineptitude. But the Russians learned a lot and by 43 were executing their plans better than most of the German army. The image of the human wave attacks is mostly German propaganda that has been incorporated into Western thinking (the German army did not want to admit that it had actually been out fought).

Lend Lease was very important to the Russian effort but it was not the hinge on which the outcome of the war hung on. It accelerated the end of the war by allowing Russian factories to concentrate on arms manufacturing instead of the production of soft vehicles (American trucks were the most important export).

The U.S. did, literally, save democracy in Western Europe by defeating the Germans there before the Russians got there but it's pretty clear that Russia would have one the war without the allies.

Status
Not open for further replies.