marantz sound problems with pc

dreamevil

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hi just got a new marantz SR 5009 amp..and got asus xonar pheobus sound card (has toslink)

the marantz has 2 toslinks.. one goes to TV, the other to soundcard.. Cant get them both to work at same time.. in the marantz settings i have to choose one toslink..cant make it 2? not fun to go and switch each time..

any one know how to fix?

Solution
What are you doing with video from the PC?
I would have expected a setup like this to use HDMI from the PC to the AV receiver, then HDMI from the AV receiver to the TV.
The TV should have a HDMI input which supports ARC, so the sound from the TV can travel back down this HDMI link to the receiver when watching TV.

Additionally, whether using the optical inputs or HDMI you need to switch inputs depending on what you are watching.
This should be as simple as a button push on a remote to change channel. You can never have multiple inputs active at the same time. The nice thing about HDMI is that you will be switching video and audio at the same time.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
What are you doing with video from the PC?
I would have expected a setup like this to use HDMI from the PC to the AV receiver, then HDMI from the AV receiver to the TV.
The TV should have a HDMI input which supports ARC, so the sound from the TV can travel back down this HDMI link to the receiver when watching TV.

Additionally, whether using the optical inputs or HDMI you need to switch inputs depending on what you are watching.
This should be as simple as a button push on a remote to change channel. You can never have multiple inputs active at the same time. The nice thing about HDMI is that you will be switching video and audio at the same time.

Solution
You should be able to assign the toslink inputs to the correct source in the set up menu of the Marantz under input assignment. Page 174 of the owners manual will show you. Make sure that you don't have the optical cable in the optical out (been there done that) rather than in. If that doesn't do the trick call Marantz tech support. They can get a little busy but are pretty good.