Mark Majoris

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I want to store 50 DVD'S on a media box for my main TV. I don't want a NAS or server. Do I need a media box such as the Zidoo X10 or the Himedia Q10 PRO where you can install a 4TB hard drive inside it. I really like the Nvidia Shield but I'm not sure if it can handle a large external hard drive via USB and get good results?

Solution
He streams his movies but ... when I bring my movies over on my external hard drive we just plug it into the usb port and it plays them fine ... it certainly doesn't format my drive (yikes).

robert600

Distinguished
My friend's shield 'sees' and plays movies from my 2.5" portable Seagate 4 TB just fine. My movies are HEVC so if it can handle that ... it can handle most anything.
He always insists that I use the usb port farthest from the power supply but I think he's just being superstitious.

Mark Majoris

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Thanks robert600,
I was hoping someone would say the Nvidia Shield can handle a large external Hard Drive because I have a Seagate 2 TB. How does your friend get his movies from his computer to the Shield? I thought I could just copy my movies from my computer to the Seagate and then connect the Seagate to the USB on the Shield but someone said the Shield will format my Seagate when I connect it erasing all my movies. Do you think that's true?