memory card storage

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
234
0
18,830
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Do memory cards need protection from static?

Or . . . is a card storage wallet a safe place to store these cards?

They (compact flash in this case) come on plastic cases and one that I
bought the case was also inside one of those anti-static bags.

Thanks

Tom
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 2 Apr 2005 09:55:43 -0800, "Tom" <tbgibb@aol.com> wrote:

>Or . . . is a card storage wallet a safe place to store these cards?

Yes, unless the wallett is made from eelskin.
Some unscrupulous people use electric eel skins, and this will cause
the contents to be lost.
Oh, I'm a day late!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:55:43 -0800, Tom wrote:

> Do memory cards need protection from static?
>
> Or . . . is a card storage wallet a safe place to store these cards?
>
> They (compact flash in this case) come on plastic cases and one that I
> bought the case was also inside one of those anti-static bags.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Every chip is sensitive to static since static can easily overload the
small circuitry inside. A CF card is little more than a memory chip in a
plastic shell. Since there's a plastic shell around the circuitry it won't
be as sensitive to static as bare RAM chips for example, but still
some care should be taken. Don't put the cards on large metal surfaces
(roof of a car etc.) for instance. If you keep your CF cards inside a
case, the chance of accidentally zapping them is very small.

Bas
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bas v.d. Wiel wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:55:43 -0800, Tom wrote:
>
>
>>Do memory cards need protection from static?
>>
>>Or . . . is a card storage wallet a safe place to store these cards?
>>
>>They (compact flash in this case) come on plastic cases and one that I
>>bought the case was also inside one of those anti-static bags.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Tom
>
>
> Every chip is sensitive to static since static can easily overload the
> small circuitry inside. A CF card is little more than a memory chip in a
> plastic shell. Since there's a plastic shell around the circuitry it won't
> be as sensitive to static as bare RAM chips for example, but still
> some care should be taken. Don't put the cards on large metal surfaces
> (roof of a car etc.) for instance. If you keep your CF cards inside a
> case, the chance of accidentally zapping them is very small.
>
> Bas

Hi...

Except for those of us (like me) who still use smart media,
where the pads (pins?) are wide open. Suggest not touching
the pads with your fingers. Or anything.

Ken
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
1 Digital Cameras 1
O Digital Cameras 1
D Digital Cameras 1
D Digital Cameras 1
N Digital Cameras 1
I Digital Cameras 1
P Digital Cameras 1
L Digital Cameras 1
S Digital Cameras 4
P Digital Cameras 9
R Digital Cameras 1
S Digital Cameras 1
A Digital Cameras 3
S Digital Cameras 4
M Digital Cameras 4
D Digital Cameras 109
D Digital Cameras 4
R Digital Cameras 1
T Digital Cameras 1
A Digital Cameras 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY