Mic not working since format..

mdy_18

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
My harddrive died on me so i had to get a new one. Ever since installed the new ssd and hdd my mic hasnt been working..It isnt muted and ive tried the latest audio drivers..Idk what to do...this sucks cuz im a gamer and its pretty much a must that i communicate via mic. Plz help..

Your issue is likely DRIVERS.

1) Install the MAIN CHIPSET driver from your motherboard support site.

Hmm.. that's all I've got. If you still need more help I'd need to know your motherboard, microphone (and sound card if not onboard) details.

mdy_18

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Okay well....I plugged in my 160 gig hard drive that i was using as a temp hdd until i got my ssd and new hdd. When i had that hdd plugged in before My mic was working on it...I plugged it back in to see if my mic would work on that hdd that had all my old settings and it still didnt work..so im guessing my mic is broke and its time for a new one.

You may be able to find a really cheap microphone just to verify that's the issue.

mdy_18

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
What else could it be? I did plug in my old hdd that still had windows and all my old settings on it. And it still didnt work. My computer IS recognizing the mic. And ive tried old/newest drivers.

I think it's probably the microphone.
I just meant you could probably pick up a really cheap microphone at a dollar store (or borrow one) before spending much money on the off chance it's a different issue.

Unless you have another microphone to test, you haven't proven that it's NOT another issue such as the motherboard or sound card.

*You can ALSO test the headphones in a different PC.