Microphone static, mic or mixer's fault?

John96

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014
I just bought a Audio-Technica BPHS1 and a Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer to go with it.

I've heard the headset's mic in action and it sounds super clear, however when i try to record something i get really bad static noise in the background. The XLR cable is connected to the mixer, the headphone audio cable is connected directly to pc and the mixer is also connecting to the pc through a usb port.

One of these things is causing the static but i have no idea which one. I tried connecting the headset straight to the pc however i couldn't get the mic to work. I tried fiddling all the knobs on the mixer and consulted the manual however i still cant get rid of the static.

I have a feeling its the mixers fault because even with the mic unplugged, if i plug the audio for the headset directly into the mixer i can hear the same static.

Other than that maybe its my pc's fault? i have a ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Hero motherboard if that helps.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Can you describe the static? Is it "white noisy" or is it clicks, pops, bleeps and drop-outs?

You could be describing analog clipping levels or even a crappy USB cable to be honest.

I recently tested a bunch of USB cables against the USB specification and surprisingly out of over a dozen tested cables, there was only one cable that actually tested within specification on the end to end shield continuity tests(+0.6 ohms or less). Many devices aren't so sensitive to crappy shielding but I did encounter cables with more than 70 ohms resistance and could spike to 120+ ohms when agitated. I came across one cable that measured open!

Record the static for us if you can!

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
You can test for analog clipping by trimming the mic input on the left. Do not use this as a volume slider and if there is a switch for phantom power turn it off since your mic is dynamic. Your mixer might have an auto detect(no switch) on the mic input for phantom power.

John96

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014

Hey, the static isn't as bad when i export it from audacity however its still there.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0gdm4rfNtLm

I tried using the noise removal option however that makes my voice sound distorted a little.

John96

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014

Yes, even when the mic isn't plugged in, it still makes the same hissing noise.