Microsoft Asked About Confidentiality of Skype User Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
If you want security then use a VOIP solution with a public protocol that supports encryption, like SIP or XMPP with TLS, and don't provide personal info that could be abused by third parties.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]retrophe[/nom]I would like to see this as well. Microsoft would be wise to regularly release such info.[/citation]
if they released it people would stop using the service. :)

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Really wish they were keeping Messenger separate from Skype. As it is now you either "upgrade" your messenger to Skype or it stops working come March. They also have a couple problems with Outlook 2013 with it being unable to connect to mailboxes. They've got work to do in this area of the business.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
live messenger was long overdue to get axed. Many people have moved away from messenger services in favor of social media like Facebook, twitter and VOIP's such as Skype which have pretty much killed messenger services. I used to have a lot of people signed in on my messenger but ever since the introduction of Facebook my live messenger looked like a ghost town, which is why i ended up removing my live messenger a couple years back from my pc. There was no point in having it if hardly anyone that i knew used it anymore. I like Skype i always had trouble with live messenger sending files since it as always cap out at 5kb upload and using the camera to talk to people via video was always skipping frames or the audio wasn't matching up with their mouth movements as if i was watching a native Japanese movie subtitled in English. Once i went to Skype all those problems went away. Plus if you like live messengers look all you have to do is switch it to the compact view and you have a separate window for your contact list and your chat much like how live messenger is. It's def worth a shot to check out if you don't already have Skype.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
World Community:" Microsoft, how confidential and secure are the Skype user data?" [data is plural, yo!]

Microsoft: "That information is confidential."

World Community: "Your competitors make that information publicly available."

Microsoft: "Then they're not being very confidential or secure, are they?!"

World Community: "Oh... I didn't think about it that way. So, you still gonna dish the details?"

Microsoft: "We'll need to get Obama's opinion on that first."

World Community: "Obama's cool. So I guess this is all good? Sweet! Catch ya later"

Status
Not open for further replies.