13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
They want to have to spend less and less time maintaining old systems. Makes sense to me, new hardware = updates for old systems, so Intel and AMD force the amount of work that MS has to do... they can minimise this by only supporting 1 OS.

See I looked and I didn't see it. Sheesh, must be sleep walking again. THANKS!

13thmonkey ... I do understand that, however I don't find it wise in forcing people to use software that is not working as it should, and takes away a lot of control from the computers owner. I have this thing about someone trying to control my life, doesn't sit well with me. :)

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

'not working as it should', elaborate. Been using win10 for a good while now, very few issues, certainly fewer than with win7/win8

What I meant is, it should allow for the computers owner to make choices, undo changes, etc. That is being slowly but surely taken away. Never a good sign to take away choices, options and a persons control over their own things. :) There are a lot of areas like this. Where your ability to fully use and control what you pay for is being chipped away at.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The problem stems from previous Windows version.
The vast majority of 'computer owners' are absolutely clueless.
Users had the option of not getting updates. And many did exactly that. Either on purpose or accident.
Result? Thousands and thousands of botnet members.

Microsoft get continually blasted for allowing this.

OK, screw it. Updates are required, you can't get out of it
Enter Win 10.
You get what we feed you, like it or not.

Microsoft gets blasted for doing this.

Either way, they get blasted.

Now, for this issue about Win 7 & 8 not playing with new hardware...I don't like it, but I can sort of see their point.
They've chosen this line in the sand.

Oh I do get why they do it, and I do get that there are people out there that although they can own a computer also know nothing really about them. :) I just don't like that the options are taken away from those that actually do know what they are doing. Never liked lumping all together.

It is kind of like when you call a company to talk to their techs. In many cases their 'so called' techs don't know much, and trying to explain something to them often doesn't go well. You tell them all the things you tried first before calling. And then they follow their script, not taking into account that you just told them did all that and more, but they probably know less than you actually do and can't understand. So you have to push to talk to a more senior tech, so you can actually try and get the issue resolved.

Generalization is not a good thing. :)

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
You can have customisation, it's called a partner, and the lifetime cost of ownership for the product would be at least an order of magnitude more. Now is that worth it to you? A $1000 OS so that you don't have to talk to someone on the phone for a bit longer? And so that you can decide what updates you need, and have someone on hand when you get it wrong? Do you know the inner workings, not the interface, the reasons for the updates, nope. Thought not. To get that level of customisation add another order of magnitude. I'd set up a business to supply people that want that level of support and customisation for $10k a license.

What you are seeing are the implications of a roughly static license cost (before inflation), whilst having to support more and more hardware choices, and making something that is more and more functional, the current OS has more functionality, either real or potential, than XP did, but costs the same.

Talking to someone on the phone longer wasn't the point of what I said. :) It was that they give you people to talk to, to help resolve problems, who actually don't know anything about what they are doing. Not all of course. There are those who do, but it is quite common for companies to hire someone, place them in a tech support position, with them having little or no knowledge of the 'tech' they are helping you with, and little training. I have worked for many companies over the years and seen this happen over and over. I will be the one or one of maybe 3 people in the training class that actually has any clue about anything. So, again, it isn't the time on the phone so much as the lack of good tech support that bothers me (any many others).

Also, I have been around computers a really long time. I do actually know how much they have improved, and how much the pricing has gone down. I still have my old Otrona Attache. http://oldcomputers.net/attache.html Can't bring myself to get rid of it. :) Things were crazy expensive, and gave you way less than computers today, yet it was still an awesome machine. My first computer using Windows was back in 1992. Cost me over a grand, but was well worth it.

Microsoft has been through many changes since I started, and for the most part I think they have been good. That said, I don't think all of them are a good idea.

I would never say someone else has to agree with me, nor that someone else is wrong because they feel differently. I am just expressing my opinion. :)