Microsoft Kills Zune Hardware; Service Lives on in WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It makes sense. If they don't compete with Sony, for example, then just maybe Sony will make a Sony Windows 8 Tablet. In fact, that deal might already have been made. Microsoft got itself in a pinch in the past trying to compete with too many products, rather than focusing on supplying software to other people's products, which was the core of its business. So I think this could be a good decision.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Microsoft needs to fire their entire marketing department.

Zune was superior to the iPod, as are many of Microsoft's products. It's just their marketing SUCKS!

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Who needs an mp3 player nowadays, anyway? And I won't buy an mp3 player tied to any service. I will download and copy my music myself.[/citation]

Must be nice to be clueless about, well, everything.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I only wish MS would put in some thoughts to improve the sound quality of their next gen media player, like 24/96 >120db SNR. This might be niche at first, but will certainly gain them loyalty from the high-end market, which is something Apple and others haven't touch yet.

isisyodin

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
R.I.P. Zune... another MS failure. I wonder where is the individual that convinced the board to push such a device in a matured and saturated market; its faith was known before it was even placed on the store shelves.

G

no idea why Kami3k is getting thumbs down other than from the zealots, Zune HD was in fact a superior product (which probably came to market way too late to win any real market share), it's build quality was exception and extremely sturdy (and i have to say i prefer it's aesthetics to the iPod, felt alot more masculine with it's sharp edged lol), performance was nippy, beats any other MP3 players hands down on sound quality and wifi sync and share was the bomb

it's only weak point was a very poorly supported app market, but as an MP3 player there was very little else to recommend

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hopefully WP7.5 will have support to play licensed songs from the Zune marketplace. Currently you cannot use your WP7 to play DRM-laden files from their service, but you can of course play "owned" files.

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Aoster87[/nom]Hopefully WP7.5 will have support to play licensed songs from the Zune marketplace. Currently you cannot use your WP7 to play DRM-laden files from their service, but you can of course play "owned" files.[/citation]

I have been using my Samsung Focus to play zune DRM files for a year or so now, never had any issues. I also thought they confirmed discontinuing the zune a while back, although I with this announcement it would have been cool to see a phone launching with higher quality sound components.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Let me also say I will not buy a iPod either. I see tools at the gym wearing these thing, hiding in their own little world. These things are anti-social devices, get a life and talk to your fellow man. You would be amazed what you may learn.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The only phone worth using for music is Samsung Galaxy, rooted, with Voodoo plugin. In general, phones have terrible audio output. Nothing beats Sandisk Sansa with Rockbox firmware. Phone manufacturers must concentrate on audio output quality if they want my $$$. Reviewers should thoroughly analyse it too.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Let me also say I will not buy a iPod either. I see tools at the gym wearing these thing, hiding in their own little world. These things are anti-social devices, get a life and talk to your fellow man. You would be amazed what you may learn.[/citation]
I know that when I go to the gym I am really hoping that someone will come up and start an involved conversation while I try to work out.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]sa1nt[/nom]It's fun to remember how Microsoft bragged about how Zune will take over all iMarket[/citation]

You should be more sympathetic, some folks, somewhere, will actually miss the Zune.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I thought the Zune Hardware was already dead.

What if his kids want an MP3 player... their only choice is iPod or SONY for the upper end.

Status
Not open for further replies.