Microsoft Staff Confirm Xbox Next Gen in LinkedIn Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
So? Console makers usually get on to the successor right from the time they release their current console. Only fools would get excited with such "rumors".

If it was the release date or hardware specs of the next system, that would have been regarded as some solid sauce....

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I just wish they would be more gaming centric....I don't want a console to be my media hub....I want it to be a "balls to the wall" gaming device...pretty much in the same fashion as I only use my pc gaming rig for gaming.

The way pc gaming is going with poorly finished ports and programers stating they can get more out of standardized hardware in comparative terms on the console I think that they were to make a high performance upgradable console with greater peripheral flexibility they would attract a lot of pc gamers.

Forget the casual martket, they have all bought their 3 or 4 games on the Wii and left them on the shelf gathering dust, hardcore gamers are the long term persistent market.

What I would like to see in a console is a custom APU type design more heavily biased towards graphics served by 2-3GB of GDDR5 utilized for both gpu and cpu all on a daughter board which would be a slot fit onto the mainboard and and so be upgradeable.
The mainboard would have about 10GB of embedded flash with fast interface to the system which programers would use as a texture cache as texture streaming seems to be the way things are going.
Something of that nature would I'm sure attract many of the pc gaming market who are getting sick of being treat as second class citizens in the gaming world.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
+1 for upgradeable consoles. Yes, all those kiddies who only want to play their games for a couple days and leave them on the shelf will be able to do that. Those that want to invest money into their console will then be able to amp up the graphics quality, or upgrade storage or more memory. Aside from attracting more PC fans, it will do one more, very very important thing:

It will FORCE developers to think about the upgraded parts of the Xbox, which will then turn into a smaller gap between the consoles and the PC in terms of performance. We will see much better looking games instead of 6 year old graphics from console ports.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I am fairly surprised we have not seen new consoles yet. When I first saw the PS3 on a 1080p screen my first thought was 'well I guess that wasn't ready for prime time'. These consoles were simply not designed for full HD content. And 30fps is soooo slooooow when you are use to 80-120fps on the computer. When they were designed 720p was high end, and SD was 90% of the market. Now we have rumors of 2K and 4K screens and projectors coming down the pipe to replace 720p and 1080p, and they will be released right after the new consoles! So again we will have the consoles coming to the dance just in time to be irrelevant. I expect this of MS as they are not primarily a hardware company, but Sony makes the high end TVs, they should know what to expect!

G

[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]irony is that people use PC to check linkedin[/citation]

Where? Not everyone uses PC to game. There is no irony there at all.

G

[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]+1 for upgradeable consoles. Yes, all those kiddies who only want to play their games for a couple days and leave them on the shelf will be able to do that. Those that want to invest money into their console will then be able to amp up the graphics quality, or upgrade storage or more memory. Aside from attracting more PC fans, it will do one more, very very important thing:It will FORCE developers to think about the upgraded parts of the Xbox, which will then turn into a smaller gap between the consoles and the PC in terms of performance. We will see much better looking games instead of 6 year old graphics from console ports.[/citation]

The fanboy is strong in this one.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'd think that the new XBox 720 will include the new PCIe 3 platform, which would open up some bandwidth as well as be more energy efficient.

It would be sweet if it had XDR2 memory too.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]+1 for upgradeable consoles. Yes, all those kiddies who only want to play their games for a couple days and leave them on the shelf will be able to do that. Those that want to invest money into their console will then be able to amp up the graphics quality, or upgrade storage or more memory. Aside from attracting more PC fans, it will do one more, very very important thing:It will FORCE developers to think about the upgraded parts of the Xbox, which will then turn into a smaller gap between the consoles and the PC in terms of performance. We will see much better looking games instead of 6 year old graphics from console ports.[/citation]

Freakin' stupid... such a console is called a PC. Welcome to real gaming.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Freakin' stupid... such a console is called a PC. Welcome to real gaming.

Rubbish, no one is talking about having the anything like the flexibility of the pc market.
Simply talking about being able to upgrade every couple of years to stay current.

Over the course of the lifecycle of the console you would have several standardized upgrades for game developers to consider and scale their games accordingly.

It seems the PC's openness as variety of configurations is actually working against it in terms of game development, a less open but none the less upgradeable platform with standardized upgrades would solve this.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]It seems the PC's openness as variety of configurations is actually working against it in terms of game development, a less open but none the less upgradeable platform with standardized upgrades would solve this.[/citation]

ROFLMAO! Are you talking about Rage? It's a unique case; 95% of all other games run great on release.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Rage is a prime example but no I wasn't referring only to that.

Contrary to what you say I'd say no pc game is released without forums full of disgruntled customers having problems with multiple and various issues.

Much of that is due to user ignorance, poorly set up systems and the huge variety of hardware OS and software configurations that are out there.

But you must consider that video gaming has now become mainstream, the gaming market, including the pc gaming market, is no longer populated by computer geeks that know how to do things correctly. Many come to the pc for the superior graphics it offers with little knowledge of computing and this is going to continue to increase as higher level graphics is finding its way into budget level pc's.

It seems to me that as there would be no way to standardize the pc environment that an upgradable console would be an ideal solution as game developers are increasingly not bothering with the pc due to the extended time they need to spend on QA because of system diversity and subsequent customer service problems.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Erm for those of you saying "Oh we want 10GB of Super Flash here and 10GB of DDR5 there and also a 6970 in there!" This has to sell at launch for $399 retail!

Cut back those expectations. Chances are it will be a modified 5770 or a Llano/Fusion derivative.

At the end of the day whatever MS can get from AMD for $10-20 a chip.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well it better be superior to a 10-20 AMD Llano, because if its not it will be behind tablets by the time it is released, which will be the death of consoles if that were to happen.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Whatever it is it will be the minimum they can get away with for pushing stuff around at 1080p.

That and optimised to hell and back for console use.

I dont think 2K+ screens are a threat for the forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.