Microsoft: We'll Sell 5 Million Kinects in 2 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Cool stuff. Will be interesting to see if they can do it. If they get the right games out (and maybe drop the price of the games to $29.99 (just a thought), it will sell like hot cakes.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'm skeptical on their prediction (like many on here I would imagine) but I wish Microsoft the best with Kinect.

I plan to wait a good while before making the decision to get one. I want to see some "hardcore-oriented" titles for it and see how well (or not) they implement the technology. Although, I will say this, that if Mass Effect 3 makes some kind of use of Kinect, whether motion-sensing or voice, I will probably splooge myself and be forced to buy it without giving it any further rational thought.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Now, waiting for real good games to come out with kinect support.[/citation]

Indeed. I really hope Microsoft (and other devs) takes an aggressive approach to trying to find ways to adapt high-quality, non-gimmick games to Kinect. I've never personally been interested in an FPS for Kinect, since the thought of having to hold my hands up shouting "pew pew!" just doesn't appeal to me (but who knows? maybe someone will turn out a good one - Child of Eden does seem intriguing), but it does seem like there's some potential for other really good games - as long as developers are willing to try and sort something out. The Star Wars Kinect game looks like a step in the right direction - just hoping that other people push Kinect's boundaries, rather than writing it off from the beginning.

And now for the downranking from the "HURRRRR KINECT" crowd.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I wonder how many of those supposed '5 million' customers will be disappointed and frustrated with Kinect, and how many will only use it once or twice then watch it gather dust.

I know it doesn't matter to Microsoft, but still..

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Based on the pallet of unsold Kinects I saw at Best Buy this afternoon I think that may be a bit too optimistic...

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Really, I think the whole 'Motion Interaction" deal Nintendo started will die off. Watch us get back to using our God-given gifts on our hands...thumbs.

G

After checking out Kinect at my friend's place - it's safe to say that it is laggy, buggy and not nearly as cool as the commercials show it. It's actually a complete disappointment.

Buyer beware - kinect sucks.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Great concept, great workout - your body is the controller but I question just how practical the games can be. Yes we would all like to play Street Fighter for real and experience the excitement of doing a roundhouse kick full on somebody's face, but just how may rounds can you go without tiring yourself out.
And then Sony made the point themselves with FPS games which is one of the most popular formats on the consoles (COD, MOH, Killzone, GOW) what are you going to do, point your finger at the screen and go pow pow, duck behind the sofa for cover, run around your living room like a headless chicken?
I kind of suspect the games might be limited to synch games with limited appeal. I could be wrong.

G

The kinect is actually alot of fun.. sure it doesn't work perfectly but it is all launch software, compare the 360's launch games with Black ops or MW2 or madden... There is still a lot of innovation coming for kinect . Being a "core" gamer I was expecting it to SUCK but was pleasantly surprised at how fun and intuitive it is. Obviously there are no core games that are getting me excited yet but the potential is definitely there. Plus My young children absolutely love it.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
6 months! In six months none of these Kinects will be still in use. They'll gather dust somewhere forgotten in the house.

:D

Wishful thinking M$! Wishful thinking!

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Great concept, great workout - your body is the controller but I question just how practical the games can be. Yes we would all like to play Street Fighter for real and experience the excitement of doing a roundhouse kick full on somebody's face, but just how may rounds can you go without tiring yourself out.And then Sony made the point themselves with FPS games which is one of the most popular formats on the consoles (COD, MOH, Killzone, GOW) what are you going to do, point your finger at the screen and go pow pow, duck behind the sofa for cover, run around your living room like a headless chicken?I kind of suspect the games might be limited to synch games with limited appeal. I could be wrong.[/citation]

The only good use I can think of for Kinect is to be used to select items on the screen. Something like a virtual mouse. It might actually work for strategy games. For anything else it will be mostly useless.

BTW Do you see a resemblance ---- Kin - Kinect - Kin-ect :D I wonder if the name is coincidental. :D

It will be a hard slap on Steve Balmer's bald head if another Kin fails this year.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Like this even after the Kinect has problems with skin color??????????
LMAO............ I hope half of them (the Buyers of Kinect) have colored skin or atleast a little on the dark side.......
I'd love to see how many suits are filed before then end of the year ...........lol

Status
Not open for further replies.