Status
Not open for further replies.

scadjacket

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hello,
I'm in the market for a laptop for graphic design / motion design / 3d animation and video.
Does anyone know of a chart or some type of breakdown showing the differences in power of the common GPUs?

For example, I'm having a difficult time telling the true difference between say a GTX 960, 970 or 980. Or say the difference between a Quadro M2000 or a M5000. Or even the difference between a GTX 960 and a Quadro M2000.

I have no way to test it and I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks!

Solution
Notebookcheck.net is probably the best resource for you to look at and compare various mobile graphic chips. They include synthetic and game benchmarks to help you compare overall performance. The link below is for the nVidia GTX 960m.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-960M.138006.0.html

That page gives you a bit of info about the GTX 960m. Scroll down a bit and you will see synthetic benchmarks and below that will be game benchmarks. Game benchmarks can have multiple FPS numbers listed; click the FPS number for details of the specific laptop that provided that FPS benchmark. Just because Brand X and Brand Y laptops lists the same CPU and GPU, they can have different performance results.

In the center column of the...
Notebookcheck.net is probably the best resource for you to look at and compare various mobile graphic chips. They include synthetic and game benchmarks to help you compare overall performance. The link below is for the nVidia GTX 960m.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-960M.138006.0.html

That page gives you a bit of info about the GTX 960m. Scroll down a bit and you will see synthetic benchmarks and below that will be game benchmarks. Game benchmarks can have multiple FPS numbers listed; click the FPS number for details of the specific laptop that provided that FPS benchmark. Just because Brand X and Brand Y laptops lists the same CPU and GPU, they can have different performance results.

In the center column of the page you will see a link to "Benchmark List"; this will provide you with a table of synthetic benchmark results for graphic chips that Notebookcheck.net has tested. A few desktop GPUs are included for comparison purposes.

Underneath "Benchmark List" you will see "Notebook Gaming List"; this will provide you with a table game benchmarks for the graphic chips. Not every game is tested for every graphics chip. Additionally, the average FPS is listed based on all laptops they tested in the game with the game graphics chip, but not necessarily the same CPU. For example, if Game A was tested on Laptop X with a dual core i5 CPU and the GTX 960m with a result of 60 FPS and Laptop Y with a quad core i7 CPU and GTX 960m with a result of 80 FPS, then the average FPS will be listed as 70 FPS. Again, a few desktop GPUs are included for comparison purposes.

Below the two links you will see a column labelled as "Class 1" (best performance class) and if you scroll down, you will see "Class 6" (worst performance class and basically obsolete). It's a quick and dirty way to look at how various graphic chips compare to each other.

Solution

Those links are not particularly useful.

The THG links are for desktop GPUs which are far more powerful than laptop graphic chips.

While the nVidia link provides information for both desktop and mobile graphic solutions, they only provide specs. Specs alone are nice, but they are in no way a substitute for actual benchmark results.

Status
Not open for further replies.