MoBo has no place for CMOS batt, BIOS loses date/time & complains.

David_40

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite C55 B5353 that I bought a year ago. Win 8 initially, installed Win 10 almost immediately. Some time ago it had some weird power issues (turning off abruptly when not on AC power) and now it can't stay on much longer than 10 mins before abruptly shutting down. Battery always thinks it's charged, however. When I put it back on AC power and boot up, I get BIOS telling me RTC Power Low, reset date/time.

Now, this sounds like I need a new mobo battery, but I know for a FACT that the mobo in this laptop has a place for a 2032 battery but doesn't actually have one attached. It never had one. The soldering guides are there, but no battery/jumper.

So, I ask you, what exactly has broken here, and do you think it can be fixed?

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
am I correct in what I fine that it has an internal main battery? (not a snap on the outside version)

if so the main battery provides the RTC with power. and to fix the issue means you need to replace the main battery

manufacture that use built in battery's don't think you need an add in coin battery because the main battery is of course always hooked up. so they save money on them versions and leave the coin battery out and relay on a good main battery to keep the settings.

David_40

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

It's true, the rechargeable battery actually screws onto the back of the laptop body, as if it's not really meant to be removed (of course it can easily be removed if necessary). What seems weird to me is that the battery actually does provide power for a little while when not on AC power, then the thing shuts down, but when it's back on AC it thinks the battery is full...

It does sound like a bad-battery issue. I'll try out a replacement and see what happens. Thanks.

David_40

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
I'd hate to speak too soon, but it seems like the new battery did the trick. I've been running on battery power for about 2 hours or so now without the power abruptly cutting out. I'm going to call this case closed. Thanks for the advice.

Do you want to know what Toshiba's first move on the tech-support line was? Telling me to back-up and reformat my hard drive in case I had a virus. That's well informed, precision advice if I've ever seen it.