Solved! Monitor Flashing on Dell Inspiron 7000 Series 7559, not showing in lcd test, not caused by movement

suenrg

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
My computer monitor on my Dell Inspiron 7000 Series 7559 has been flickering for around a month. It is not worsened by screen movement, and does not show up in recordings or on another monitor. There are small black lines that blink on, and parts of the screen flash black. There seems to be no pattern to the flashing, but it usually happens every 5 seconds or so. While the flashing does not occur during the LCD test, it flashes in the BIOS. The intensity of the flashing changes depending on the window that is open on my computer. The desktop is by far the worst, with the screen being almost completely blacked out whenever it is visible. One page on chrome could be fine, and the next could flash like a strobe light. While I think it could be a loose cable, the changing of the intensity depending on the window is very odd, and it being unaffected by monitor movement is also confusing.

Solution
If you think it's a loose cable, why not check for that? If everything is reseated and it still does that, next step would be to replace the panel.

suenrg

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I have time. I was just confused because the problem did not worsen with screen movement and instead depended on what was being displayed.

I think I understand what you mean, you should still check the connections. It may be anything from cable, faulty screen or video card.

From the sound of things it may be an issue with the video card. Connect an external display and see if that works fine.

suenrg

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
I took it apart and found nothing.
However, upon putting it back together, the flickering was gone. It must have been a loose cable or something.
Thank you so much!