Pianoman57

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hope I have this in the right place. I've been working on a project and have run into a problem. I've encoded some files with Handbrake which output them as .m4v files. Is this a common file type that most devices will be able to play? I've loaded these onto a flash drive as a surprise gift, but I want to make sure that the person who gets them (who is not as technologically inclined as myself) to be able to play and make use of them without having to modify them. I know this person owns a Chromebook and an I-Phone, so is .m4v an acceptable format for these and most other devices, or should I instead try to convert these to an .mp4 or other video file format that would be more widely accepted? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Worst case scenario is that you may need to change the file extension to .mp4. M4V is basically an extension to the MP4 container format that supports DRM, and since you don't have any DRM they should be interchangeable. Some applications are just a bit picky.

randomizer

Distinguished
Worst case scenario is that you may need to change the file extension to .mp4. M4V is basically an extension to the MP4 container format that supports DRM, and since you don't have any DRM they should be interchangeable. Some applications are just a bit picky.

Solution