Motorola DROID FRG01B (Froyo) Update Halted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Will be interesting to see how Windows Phone 7 goes about working with updates. Having a more standardized hardware platform as well as all updates coming from only a single source, should help aleviate a lot of the hangups we have gotten for years for WM5,6,6.5 and so far, Android. I'm guessing similar to Apple's way, but still its covering much more than a handful of devices.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]That tethering crap is still pissing me off.[/citation]

Don't get pissed. Get rooted.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
the droid 1 comes with a 16gb sd card, but internal storage (where flash would be installed) is far less, i only have 172mb free on mine with only a few programs installed, so 12mb is pretty big

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Adobe and/or Google has also removed Flash Player from the Android Market--those who seek out the APK file will discover that it's a meaty 12.28MB that can't be dumped onto the SD card.
So despite claims that flash was coming to Froyo, you can't download it from the market? If its not in the market, it doesn't have google support. Anyone can make an android app and let you download it off their website. I want apps in the damn marketplace, ones that I don't have to turn off security checks to install. I'm wondering if there were performance issues.

I guess I shouldn't care either way, my G1 is stuck on 1.6 (donut), so, yeah, whatever.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I forced FRG01B onto my Droid, and it practically bricked it. Did a complete wipe, (Cache, baseband, then Factory Reset), and then re-installed my apps and everything was good. I think the problem was with 2.1 and other pre-Froyo apps that weren't compatable and the update didn't correctly disable them or update them. I've been runing 2.2 now for a bit over 24 hours and I have to say that it is quite nice. They increased the number of home screens from 3 to 5. They added a sort of "taskbar" at the bottom center, that has a shortcut to the phone, apps, and web. Flash support of course. And a few other things that I probably haven't noticed. One thing I have noticed though is that my battery life seems to be better.

DREAMER_ES

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Don't get pissed. Get rooted.[/citation]
I would like to know if there will be a driver database to look for certain driver for certain model of Android phone in order to make pretty well working rooted Android distributions soon. :D
That would be ground-breaking and make the custom builds possible! :D

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
[citation][nom]DREAMER_ES[/nom]I would like to know if there will be a driver database to look for certain driver for certain model of Android phone in order to make pretty well working rooted Android distributions soon. That would be ground-breaking and make the custom builds possible![/citation]

There is go get the SDK from google and install all the updates, if you are unable to locate drivers for a certain brand of phone look around on XDA. Trust Me it's worth it. I have a Nexus One and rooted it as soon as I got it..

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Don't get pissed. Get rooted.[/citation]

Yup, exactly. I rooted my phone today and within 5 minutes had tethering and got me my stock Moto Droid at 800MHz now. What a difference the phone is being rooted. Why wouldn't anyone not root their phone. I held off for fear of breaking it, but now that I have froyo on it and tons of root-only apps installed, it's like getting a new phone all over again. :)

paulthepwner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]I forced FRG01B onto my Droid, and it practically bricked it. Did a complete wipe, (Cache, baseband, then Factory Reset), and then re-installed my apps and everything was good. I think the problem was with 2.1 and other pre-Froyo apps that weren't compatable and the update didn't correctly disable them or update them. I've been runing 2.2 now for a bit over 24 hours and I have to say that it is quite nice. They increased the number of home screens from 3 to 5. They added a sort of "taskbar" at the bottom center, that has a shortcut to the phone, apps, and web. Flash support of course. And a few other things that I probably haven't noticed. One thing I have noticed though is that my battery life seems to be better.[/citation]

According to Cyanogen, flash *can't* work on a g1/hero anyway. He says hardware limitations.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]gfh773[/nom]What kind of root only apps do you have?[/citation]
For a dollar on the Marketplace you can get EasyRoot which will root your phone in one click. It also supports un-Root if you needed to take your phone in for service.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]gfh773[/nom]What kind of root only apps do you have?[/citation]
I installed SetCPU (on Marketplace) for example and now am running my Moto DROID at 800MHz instead of the stock 550MHz. What a difference that made to overall performance. Makes me wish I owned a 1GHz device since now I know what a difference CPU frequencies make.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]the droid 1 comes with a 16gb sd card, but internal storage (where flash would be installed) is far less, i only have 172mb free on mine with only a few programs installed, so 12mb is pretty big[/citation]
I have 9MB's free on my phone. LOL I think I need to uninstall stuff. lol

G

What a shame that Verizon cannot provide a usable OS and that people have to manually do all this garbage. Yuck.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]joey2384324789[/nom]What a shame that Verizon cannot provide a usable OS and that people have to manually do all this garbage. Yuck.[/citation]
Indeed. The same thing happened when they said they would release the 2.1 update. 2 month delay before it did finally arrive. :/ Ah well... they want a stable release, which is just fine by me. I'm just happy they offer updates at all. Plenty of other carriers who don't even bother to continue support. They'd rather you went out and bought a new phone. Then again, there is always rooting... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.