Motorola's DROID Does Plenty the iPhone Can't

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]thedipper[/nom]iDo explode in your pocket.iDo drop calls.iDo have large security holes.iDo have features that still don't work.iDo have a highly restricted app market.Droid doesn't.[/citation]

When it comes to security, Droid is not Fort Knox like some of you make it out to be. Despite some of Apple's security problems, the iPhone is still the most secure mobile phone available.

As for the inability to multitask, this was done to prevent short battery life. Phones that use Android or any other smartphone OS have problems with very short battery life because of multitasking. The lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone makes it one of the thinnest phones available. The iPhone's adaptive predictive text and landscape keyboard make typing just as easy as a real keyboard. Phones like the Windows Mobile HTC Fuze and the first Android phones were a brick. The only feature that hasn't been enabled on the iPhone is the FM receiver and on the iPhone 3G and 3Gs the FM transmitter, which is a very minor issue since most people don't need these in a smartphone anyways.

G

The marketing would be more spot on if it said Apples iDont vs Googles iHavent (and maybe never will)

The lamest ad campaign I have even seen (unless you count the MS Seinfeld stuff, which I consider marketing suicide and not an ad campaign at all)

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I liked the commercial, but it kind of advertises for the iPhone as well because of all of the "iblah blah blah" statements. I hope the new Windows phone beats the both of them!

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I actually don't like real keyboards. I prefer to have an all touch screen phone. I do like all the other function the droid does though. will definitely look into this.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tarheels_100[/nom]There's one thing that people never consider when comparing the iPhone to competitors: does it have a glass-covered capacitive touch screen? For me, there is a night and day difference between the cheap old pressure sensitive touch screens that a lot of phones are shipping with today and the capacitive touch screen on the iPhone. If you can't get the interface right, nothing else is going to matter.[/citation]
This phone DOES have a capacitive screen. It's essentially everything the iPhone offers and a whole lot more. The one argument you can make is that it doesn't have as many apps, but the Android market still has 10,000+ apps right now and it's just getting going. Once this phone hits the app store is going to grow even more. As others have mentioned, let's hope that this phone really does turn out to be as good as promised (which is looks like it will!).

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
iDon't allow open development.

I wouldn't touch the iPhone for that reason alone. Even though jailbreaking obviously gets around the issue I think it's idiotic to support the company pushing the policy.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]MoUsE-WiZ[/nom]iDon't allow open development.I wouldn't touch the iPhone for that reason alone. Even though jailbreaking obviously gets around the issue I think it's idiotic to support the company pushing the policy.[/citation]

iAgree :)

andyrosebrook

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
There's open development for iphone, just jailbreak it it's easy.

This commercial should have actually shown the freaking phone and what it does, how it works. What a waste of 30 seconds of my time.

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]andyrosebrook[/nom]There's open development for iphone, just jailbreak it it's easy.This commercial should have actually shown the freaking phone and what it does, how it works. What a waste of 30 seconds of my time.[/citation]

Yeah, just what people want to do, void their warranties to do what they should be able to do on their phone.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kayvonjoon[/nom]It does have all those stuff butiHas 1M apps![/citation]

99% of which are useless farting machines or calories calculators or plain time wasters or disguised ads ...

iDon't have flash.

I'd take Android any day over iPhone, as for the apps, those few apps that exist for Android are a great deal more useful than a crap ton of apps on the app store.

How many flashlight applications do you need for your phone?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The camera, and maybe open development are good additions. The "iDon't Customize" is sort of incorrect. And other things I could care less about... replaceable battery = fat phone, Keyboard = uncomfortably tiny, crappy plastic, slow typing. If you get used to the onscreen keyboard, it's MUCH faster than having to push down on a key.

Everyone can hate the iPhone all they want. But, it's still one of the best phones out there. If that weren't true, advertisements such at the one above wouldn't exist.

As if you haven't branded me as one already... I'm not an Apple fanboy. The iPhone is the only Apple product I own. The rest are PCs running Windows and Linux. If someone were to make a better device (that isn't outright fugly or huge) then I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll still with what's worked best for me.

Accidental

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
The iPhone 3GS is aging, and Verizon/Motorolla is kicking the beast while it is down. The 3Gs is in need of an overhaul (compared to new phones in the market TODAY) The resolution for a screen that big (3.5 inches/25.4mm at 480x320) is absurdly pixely. This marketing effort also did cherry-pick some other fundamental issues with the 3Gs. Apple is innovative, but I think more people switch over to this phone due to the 'fad factor'. Kinda like furbies back in the late 90s. I do smell a new brew of Apple phones though, I'd be curious to see what is next after the 3Gs.. hopefully not the same platform as the last three generations, but a completely new platform to compete with the new smartphone/PDAs out there esp. the Android open platform OS and upcoming Windows Mobile 7 (thumb to the wind, anyone?)

I'm also very curious to see and use this DROID phone. I still haven't seen a better phone out there than the HTC HD2. Although just slightly wider and taller (by millimeters) than the 3Gs and DROID, it seems to beat all in every category. Europe gets the best phones first :)

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]99% of which are useless farting machines or calories calculators or plain time wasters or disguised ads ... iDon't have flash. I'd take Android any day over iPhone, as for the apps, those few apps that exist for Android are a great deal more useful than a crap ton of apps on the app store.How many flashlight applications do you need for your phone?[/citation]

Some of your points are true, however, I don't see how an open development model will help.

The lack of flash does really piss me off though :-(

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]aoster87[/nom]I liked the commercial, but it kind of advertises for the iPhone as well because of all of the "iblah blah blah" statements. I hope the new Windows phone beats the both of them![/citation]

Haha, you will have angels flying through your sphincter before that happens!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
iDo (copied all the features that iphone has just put into a phone with better hardware) oh wait.......
iDon't have crap applications (in fact its open source and has only a handful of apps so far...... we'll see how many flashlight apps come out on Android once the community begins to care.)

G

Why do so many people care SO much about apps? If that is all the iphone has for leverage, it has failed miserably. I look everything BUT third party apps in a phone. It's a phone for god's sake.

Between the million of WinMo apps, and tens of thousand of Android and iphone apps, I'm sure I have all I need with ANY phone OS. Heck, even if Android had 1,000 apps, me and 95% of the people out there will be satisfied.

site7000

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
After 2 years of hearing about how bad the iPhone is without ever seeing a phone actually match it, it's good to see a phone looming on the horizon that might actually be as useful (I didn't say packed with checkbox features, I said useful) as the iPhone. A lot of wannabe iPhone killers have looked great on paper, but they die because people can't figure out how to do anything but make phone calls on them. Remember the Pre or the parade of trendy Blackberry's? Me neither. So let's wait until this thing materializes and has a few months on the market before claiming "the iWitch is dead."

And don't bother blaming AT&T's troubles on the iPhone. The iPhone is just doing its job and none of the other wireless companies have had a phone that put anything near the stress of iPhone traffic on their network. People are using the iPhone as netbooks for chrissakes. Maybe Verizon will measure up; maybe it won't.

I hope the Droid and other Android-based phones put actual pressure on the iPhone. Competition is good. But that day isn't here yet.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]site7000[/nom]And don't bother blaming AT&T's troubles on the iPhone. The iPhone is just doing its job and none of the other wireless companies have had a phone that put anything near the stress of iPhone traffic on their network. People are using the iPhone as netbooks for chrissakes. [/citation]

I don't, I blame Apple. It is their fault for being dumbasses and signing a contract to release the iPhone on just one network. A network that was thus flooded because it was an innovative phone that caused many people to overpressure the network. if they spread it out onto at least 3 networks, it would not have had as many issues.

Either way, it doesn't work for crap here, so I am moving on. It doesn't matter who caused it to not work in my are, it just doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.