Mozilla Firefox periodically slows down and becomes unresponsive, how to fix?

IdealIdeas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Im running Mozilla firefox and every now and then it will slow down to a halt and end up becoming super unresponsive after some time.

This mostly happens when I watch a bunch of youtube videos one after another but it has happened just from ordinary browsing as well.

It is the latest version and the Addons I have are:
Adblock Plus 2.6.4
Classic Theme Restorer
Download Helper
Download Them All!
Flag Fox
Memory Fox
Quick Translator
Smartest Bookmarks Bar
Tile Tabs
Wallflower
Youtube Center

It has been doing this for awhile now and has been happening since before I added
Youtube center
Wallflower
Flag Fox
Memory Fox
Download Helper
Download Them All!

I actually recently added Memory Fox with the idea that maybe its demanding a lot of ram causing this issue, as Ive noticed in the task manager that when it starts acting up, its usually using around 2 - 2.2 GB of my 16 GB of ram. Memory Fox hasnt solved the problem and I still see it reach the 2 GB in usage.

I have other friends who use firefox and never came across this issue either, so I find it strange that its been acting like this only to me. Could one of the issues stem from the fact that I kinda just leave the browser always open on my 2nd monitor nearly all the time?

Anyone with any ideas of why this happens? Or any ideas of how to fix?

Please dont suggest chrome, I dislike chrome, some of the reasons are I want tabs on bottom, I want the Menu Bar (File, Edit, View, History, ect..), and that the Search bar is separate from the address bar. There are more reasons but these are a few.

I think I should add this is on Windows 8.1, although I have had the same problems when my computer was Windows 7 (Ive rebuilt my computer about 3 times now, wiped my harddrives clean and this issue has always remained)

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
There are known memory leaks in Firefox especially if you have been browsing for some time. You might think to restart the browser using memory fox after a while. I know some fixes are coming down the pipeline (newer versions). You could try the Beta's or Firefox Aurora to see if they help. Although Aurora rarely crashes for me just note that it is more likely to have unstable builds than the release version.

EDIT: Just for your knowledge. The release notes for the Beta has this -> "Integration of generational garbage collection" in it. That should help fix the issues you have been seeing it was supposed to be in with the last update but I guess it wasn't deemed to be ready for prime time yet. (you can find that note in both the Beta 31 and Beta 32 notes but it didn't show up in the release version of 31)

IdealIdeas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Its been doing this for a long time, and has done so in the past without any addons attached.