NoizyBoyStatic

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I bought a MSI GE60 Apache Pro spent 1300 dollars on it and upgrading it with a SSD and 16GB of ram, sadly doing this I had to remove a sticker which voided the warranty which really sucks. I bought it brand new off Amazon, Ive only had it for about 2 months. I don't know if I got a defective one or if MSI just sucks but I have also heard that gaming laptops tend not to be to stable. This is my first experience with any of MSI's products and my first experience with a gaming laptop but since I have owned it, Ive had about 3 or 4 problems with it 2 that I have fixed threw research 1 is unsolved with a possible solution and now there is this.

Now on the the problem. About a week ago the screen began flashing this pinkish/purple tint over the screen and It had been on for awhile so I figured a simple restart would fix it and it did so I didn't give it a second thought. then it was happening a couple days ago and a restart didn't fix it so I tried updating the drivers and restarting it after the update was complete and it worked for about 60 seconds and it began flashing faster than it ever has before until it finally just stayed the pink/purple tint. So at that point I tried switching to the Intel graphics instead of the Nvidea which I had set to be used all the time because that is the only way I could get it to be used for games instead of the Intel HD graphics. So at this point I did some Google research and all I found was this problem with desktops and it was either a messed up VGA port or cable. Then I came across a guy that lowered his screen resolution and I tried it by lowering my resolution by one notch and it worked well that was a relief.

So I was short on cash and had to pawn it for a couple of days I got it out 3 days later I had it powered on for about 3 hours at the lower screen resolution which to me was a temporary solution then the flashing started again so I raised the resolution and it stopped I immediately shut it off and refuse to use it, being in fear of making it worse. So until I find a solution I have a $1,300 paper weight. I have a bad feeling in my gut that this is a hardware failure possibly with the graphics card or a solder point.

Warranty voided short on cash to take it some where some one help me diagnose it so I can either try to fix it or at least know what is wrong so I can save up to get it fixed. If soldering needs to be done I'm quite skilled at it.

Solution
MSI is one of the few laptop manufacturers that use warranty sticker/seals but all may not be lost here. I will suggest contacting MSI about warranty since nothing you did (other than break a seal) should affect the hardware involved.
If no joy from MSI, I'll suggest flashing BIOS to the latest/greatest MSI has for that motherboard (that alone may help) and letting us know how it's responding from there. If you have the latest BIOS version already, let us know, we can work from there
Are you sure no cables were removed, loosened or rerouted when upgrading earlier?
Check graphics temperatures also
MSI is one of the few laptop manufacturers that use warranty sticker/seals but all may not be lost here. I will suggest contacting MSI about warranty since nothing you did (other than break a seal) should affect the hardware involved.
If no joy from MSI, I'll suggest flashing BIOS to the latest/greatest MSI has for that motherboard (that alone may help) and letting us know how it's responding from there. If you have the latest BIOS version already, let us know, we can work from there
Are you sure no cables were removed, loosened or rerouted when upgrading earlier?
Check graphics temperatures also

Solution

NoizyBoyStatic

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I checked the temps they are fine and as far as I know now cables were even touched when I installed a msata SSD and a 8GB ram card. Also from the SSD booting problem I have I updated the Bios straight from MSI like a week or so ago.

This next question is mostly for my info (I'm still looking at possible solutions)... did you attempt to contact MSI and if so, what has been their response?

I'm currently focusing on graphics settings (increasing voltage slightly or underclocking the GPU) but want to ensure it'll help before recommending an action

NoizyBoyStatic

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I am going to contact MSI I don't know if they will do anything since I voided the warranty but I figured I would give it at try. I don't know why I would need to under clock it I haven't changed any of that its same as it came from the factory but I will try anything.

Having an MSI laptop myself, I remember reading in another forum somewhere, a statement from a supposed MSI representative stating that removing/breaking the seal/sticker doesn't automatically void the warranty. He said as long as only basic tasks such as upping RAM or swapping drives were done, and the laptop didn't appear to obviously have been majorly dismantled and reassembled, that the warranty would still be in force. I believe it was in the notebookreview.com forum, probably in the MSI specific section.