MSI GT70 GPU jumps in temp when power cable connected?

Diablik

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Idle my GPU stays around 35c-40c, but as soon as I plug in the power cable, the temperature rises rapidly to around 55c.

I am not doing anything at all once the power cable is connected, no windows open what so ever, the temp just rises.

My basic laptop specs are as follows:

CPU: i7-3630QM
GPU: GTX 680M
RAM: 8gb

Laptop is exactly 1 year old.

Thanks

AntonyLovric

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
You laptop probably has two different power / performance profiles, one for on-battery, another for when plugged in. Sometimes laptops will clock down CPUs / bus when on battery to run longer. Even if the GPU doesn't know if it's running on AC or not if the CPU heats up the whole system will probably warm up.

Cheers

hst101rox

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
Could also be a program that detects if the laptop is plugged in or not so it can run tasks only when plugged in, to lengthen battery life.
Or GPU turning on/off (Optimus) or different clock profiles.

Diablik

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I've attempted changing power options to even the lowest setting, 'Power Saving mode' and still, the Gpu stays at high temperature with no excess processes running. Pretty strange as this never used to happen.

AntonyLovric

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

I wonder, did you install a different video driver? I wonder if the original one from the laptop manufacturer observed the power modes and perhaps a newer one does not?

So this is a new thing that it's doing even on wall power? Your original post did not say anything about this not happening before, just that when plugged in the temp went up. Are you saying it used to stay at the same temperature when plugged in before and recently started to go up?

55C is a perfectly normal temperature for that CPU, don't think there is any issues really. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1639744/high-temperature-3632qm.html

Diablik

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Hi there thanks for your response,

" Pretty strange as this never used to happen." I meant by saying this, that this issue has not happened before, the temp would always be the same idle, plugged in and charging, or not.

This has only recently started happening, I have updated the driver (since having the issue) still with no resolve.

I even removed the back of the laptop to check the cleanliness of the fans, which are in immaculate order.

Its the GPU not the CPU that is the issue.