MSI-GT70-ONE Drivers killed GPU

senuret

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
So my buddy when I told him to update his nvidia driver, decided to install some 30 dollar program and installed 30+drivers all at once and caked the Laptop.

I manager to get it back up and running, although if the GPU chip is in, it will be stuck at msi logo and will not go past. This ONLY started happening after the driver updates.

Im looking for any ideas for solution, I build him a desktop and recovered his files from his HDD (important to him), so he gave me the laptop and im looking to fix+sell it.

After the fact, I have now upgraded to Windows 10 on it, and factory resetted. I am about to try using Driver fusion to wipe drivers if factory reset didn't and see if that helps.

senuret

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Update - After using the driver wipe, I found out it had AMD drivers installed. After getting rid of them the computer now hits bios with visuals with chip in, just doesnt get past the MSI logo.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The windows install is compromised. Completly WIPE the hdd.

Just download windows 10 on a seperate pc onto a usb stick using the windows 10 media creation tool and do a full cleaan install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

senuret

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017

Since its an old M slot SSD on the laptop, I dont have an external plug. Could I leave it as is, and usb my windows USB I already have to just to an install and it should clean er up? Since it hits bios Ill do it with the GPU in and see what happens.

Who said anything about removing the SSD from the GT70?

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I never said anything about removing a ssd. I said make a bootable windows usb and format the hdd woth it before reinstalling windows.