venomztw

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
So, like the title says, I`ve got a freezelag problem with my MSI Laptop.

Before I go into explaining the problem any further, here are the specs:

MSI Model: GE-70
Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.4GHz (3.4GHz with auto Intel Boost)
Graphics 1: Nvidia Geforce 765M 2GB
Graphics 2: Intel HD Graphics 4600
8GB RAM

So.... Basically the main, and only problem is the freezelags which appear in every single game I`ve played on it so far. Its the kinda lag that makes your game stop completely for 1-5 seconds at a time. (General performance is actually really good for a laptop, but the freezelags are killing me.)

Within 30 minutes of playing, I experience this freezelag somewhere between 3-10 times, and its really starting to piss me off:/
Honestly, Ive got no idea as to why this is happening...I cant think of a single thing that can make this happen.

All my drivers are up to date (Chipset, Intel drivers, Nvidia drivers...you name it...I even did a Bios update a couple of months ago)

So, does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Really appreciate the help I can get.

Thanks a bunch

Solution

Just check this solution:
1. Click “Start”
2. Click "Run."
3. Type dxdiag and press enter to load the “Direct X Diagnostic Tool” menu.
4. Click the “Display” and “Sound” tabs.
5. Verify that DX features are enabled and there are no problems.

Between have you overclocked anything? Graphics card or cpu?
And if you can tinker with gpu settings, try...

venomztw

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Dont think the cooling is the problem here, since i placed 4 "blocks", 1 for each corner to give my laptop a bigger space underneath to get better cooling. (Its hooked up to a monitor etc.)

Got a tip from a guy on Steam:
"Open Task Manager while running your game. Monitor your processes and see if a program is running in the background that occasionally steals processing power from your game. You should see spikes in usage along with your lag spikes. "

I did what he told me, and noticed this: http://s23.postimg.org/w4cfh73hn/Untitled_2.jpg

I also noticed a major drop in the cpu usage for the game (csgo). It went from 37% usage to about 5% when the freezelag happened, the other processes didnt change at all

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

be sure to check your cpu temperature too even though you have taken some steps for better cooling.

venomztw

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Just did a cpu temperature test. Even tried pushing it a bit running all of these programs at once: Steam, CS:GO, Photoshop, League of Legends, Firefox, Sony Vegas, Spotify, VLC Media player (playing a HD movie), Windows Media Player (Playing a HD movie) & Windows Movie Maker.

The Peak temperature for all the cores were 90°C
With only the game running, it was somewhere around 50-60°C

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Just check this solution:
1. Click “Start”
2. Click "Run."
3. Type dxdiag and press enter to load the “Direct X Diagnostic Tool” menu.
4. Click the “Display” and “Sound” tabs.
5. Verify that DX features are enabled and there are no problems.

Between have you overclocked anything? Graphics card or cpu?
And if you can tinker with gpu settings, try to decrease GPU clock by 100mhz.

Solution

venomztw

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Used MSI Afterburner to decrease the core clock on the gpu by 100Mhz, and so far so good actually! :) Just hope its a permanent fix :D

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Good luck and i hope it permanently resolves your problem :D

venomztw

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Thank you for your help! If its not a permanent fix, I`ll get back to you :D

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

You are always welcome :D

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

go parallel with your core clock for once with 1:1 ratio

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

i am sorry, if i couldn't help you out. Just for last solution try clearing your cache memory.

Clearing DNS Cache:
1. Type Command Prompt in Start Search, right-click on Command Prompt under Programs and select Run As Administrator.
2. Now, type ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.(it will show a message that Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache)

Clearing Memory Cache:
1. First right-click anywhere on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.
2. Now enter the following line when asked for location of the shortcut and hit Next:
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
3. Give it any name and hit Finish.
4. Now open this newly created shortcut and you will notice a slightly better performance.

Clearing Thumbnails Cache:
1. Right-click your primary disk partition (where Windows is installed) and open Properties dialog.
2. Now, click Disk Cleanup to open Disk Cleanup dialog.
3. Select the items you want to remove, along with Thumbnails to remove the thumbnail cache.
4. Click OK followed by Delete files to delete selected items and remove thumbnail cache.

Additionally, clear all browsers' cache too that are installed in your pc. For more information on clearing browsers' cache refer this link:
http://www.cyberisle.com/news/cache_clear.htm

I hope that helps :)

venomztw

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks a bunch for the help anyways, maybe this doesnt fix it entirely, but now I`ve got a neat way of clearing the cache on my pc :D Maybe the freezelags wont happen as often as before...time will tell! Thank you for assisting me anyway!

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

You are welcome :D
Cheers!!!