Multiple TVs with one HTPC

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hello,

I've built a nice HTPC and I want to feed it's output to the other TV's in the house. It would be replacing the cable box (I'm cutting the cable) and the same thing would be on all the TVs. The HTPC has HDMI and VGA outputs, I need a channel 3 output just like the cable box.

What you're looking for is called a Media Extender. Unfortunately, they've been pretty much phased out. The XBox 360 is about the only media extender currently available, but look for the Ceton Echo device to come out (hopefully) soon.

-Wolf sends

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
It shouldn't be THAT complicated.

I've sort of got it working, an adapter that converts VGA to S video and then another that converts the S video to channel 3.

With that setup I can see the output from the HTPC on the TVs, but then all my big TV (fed with HDMI) shows is a shrunken version of the wallpaper and nothing else.

Maybe an HDMI splitter with one output feeding the big TV and another feeding a HDMI to S video converter? (that converter is around $150 though...)

an hdmi splitter box would have been my suggestion. then a conversion box to whatever format the tv take (svideo for instance)

what is this channel 3 nonsense? sounds like this is what is causing you all the pain and frustration. eliminate it.

keep in mind that i'm not sure how how you would actually control the htpc from another room though. i know they make remote controls for win media center, perhaps they make little boxes to put on your tv too for other rooms.

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

With my current setup I've got a cable box that has an HDMI output that goes to my big TV and a cable (channel 3 or 4) outlet that I feed the other TV's with. If I'm watching cable there is an HD picture on the big screen and the other TV's are showing the same thing. (these are all old CRT/non HD sets).

I want to be able to get rid of the cable box and use the HTPC the same way I use the cable box.

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
It looks like what I'm going to have to do is buy an HDMI splitter (about $150) and then a box like that to convert HDMI to S Video, then I can convert the S Video to RF (channel 3).

There REALLY ought to be an easier way!

The other TV's aren't HD but they work OK and for what I use them for (like the kitchen TV) it's not a big deal.

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I'm making progress.

An HDMI splitter, one output feeding the TV and the other going to an HDMI to S-Video converter. That feeds yet another converter that takes the S-Video and converts it to RF (Channel 3 or 4). Both the S-Video converter and the RF converter have audio and video ports.

The video now works. Output from the computer displays fine on all the TV's, still don't have sound on the other TV's.