Solved! My acer laptop wont burn second recovery cd it keep saying error 0x203

G

my acer laptop wont burn second recovery cd it keep saying error 0x203
what do i do

Solution
Evidently there is a problem with the eRecovery software. I had the same problem. Spent most of the day creating a set of 10 eRecovery CDs, only to get this error on CD #10. Tried 3 other CDs, same problem. Thought maybe the drive was overheated, so I let it sit for a few hours and tried again. Same issue. The netbook and other computers recognized the media as being empty. I finally gave up and pulled a DVD+R/RW out of another machine and hooked it up and started over making DVDs this time. First one burns fine, second and last one gives the 0x203 error.

A google search turned up a patch for the Gateway version of the Acer Aspire...

utesfan3431

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Evidently there is a problem with the eRecovery software. I had the same problem. Spent most of the day creating a set of 10 eRecovery CDs, only to get this error on CD #10. Tried 3 other CDs, same problem. Thought maybe the drive was overheated, so I let it sit for a few hours and tried again. Same issue. The netbook and other computers recognized the media as being empty. I finally gave up and pulled a DVD+R/RW out of another machine and hooked it up and started over making DVDs this time. First one burns fine, second and last one gives the 0x203 error.

A google search turned up a patch for the Gateway version of the Acer Aspire: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=23264&dscr=Clean%20Invalid%20Patch%20for%20eRecovery%20Error%200x203&uid=251573966

Since they are sister companies, I thought this might work but it didn't. Finding any help on the Acer site was a challenge, as they don't list support as an option at the top of their home page like every other tech company on the planet. If you look at the bottom left of the page, you'll find a Products and Services link. That will lead to a page listing their various brands and under each brand is a Tech Support link. From there you have to specify your particular machine (4 steps) and then look for a link on the left that says Support Home. At the bottom of that page is an AspireOne Support link. Click that and finally, a knowledge base page comes up that you can actually perform a search on (they sure know how to make it easy, don't they?)

Searching on 0x203 returns an article acknowledging the problem, although they say it only affects the 64-bit version: http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300/kw/0x203/r_id/166

There is a link there to download an updated version of the eRecovery software. Good luck. I just gave up and installed Windows 7 relying on the hidden partition in the event I have to revert back.

Solution

Petalumatool

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Norton Ghost bogged everything down. Makes cpu run slower, and always asks for backup media. Today I talked with Acer customer support 1-800-816-2237. I was told to do a complete system recover, right back to OEM specs. It only took 30 minutes, all info and files were lost, no big deal. After that I was able to make both recovery discs. Yea! Also noted machine runs faster, uses about 15% less ram and CPU also. Overall a win, win.

bevoracing

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Search got me:- http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/issues/260121793.shtml
Says it's a fix from Acer for the 0x203. Problem is only with Vista they say. Downloaded the file, saved it, extracted it, ran it (it's a bit confusing as it extracts as the same file neme, then you have to run it), didn't ask for a re-start but I did that anyway. Tried to create a set of recovery discs, failed again. Another quality product from the software industry. I'm getting quite a pile of "Disc 1" DVDs. Good Luck, Tony.