My Asus Notebook Laptop's touch pad has stopped working

thomasmitz

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
My touch pad has recently stopped working and I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall all drivers and reset my computer (which also isn't working). Help Please!!!

Solution
Try the following and see if it fixes it...

1. Go into "Control Panel".
2. Click "Hardware and Sound".
3. Now click "Mouse and Touchpad".
4. Now go to "Additional mouse options".
5. The Mouse Properties window will open. In here click on your device.
6. Make sure your device is set to enabled. If it isn't then click "Enable Device".
7. Exit both that screen and "Control Panel".

Also, you said you updated the drivers, but did you also update the Synaptics drivers?

If this does not help, and an external mouse works fine, then it may well be a hardware issue.
Try the following and see if it fixes it...

1. Go into "Control Panel".
2. Click "Hardware and Sound".
3. Now click "Mouse and Touchpad".
4. Now go to "Additional mouse options".
5. The Mouse Properties window will open. In here click on your device.
6. Make sure your device is set to enabled. If it isn't then click "Enable Device".
7. Exit both that screen and "Control Panel".

Also, you said you updated the drivers, but did you also update the Synaptics drivers?

If this does not help, and an external mouse works fine, then it may well be a hardware issue.

Solution
Nov 19, 2018
Hello. I have the same issue with my Asus Vivo Book Max. When it first happened, I was able to fix it using these steps and it worked:

ASUS Q405U 2 IN 1 LAPTOP - Mouse works - Touchpad doesn't - Mouse isn't in device manager

Mouse was not listed in my Device Manager & Touchpad was not listed under "All Settings" so I followed some of the instructions here:
- hold down WINDOWS key & the letter X
- select DEVICE MANAGER from the list
- click VIEW
- select SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES
My "Mice & Other Pointing Devices" is now listed here... yea!!! Part 1 done.

I looked under my ACTION CENTER (little cartoon "talk bubble" on right side of taskbar)
- click ALL SETTINGS
- Mouse is there but still no Touchpad

Restarted my computer, went back to ACTION CENTER
- click ALL SETTINGS
- tadaaaaa TOUCHPAD is finally there!
- click TOUCHPAD & turn it "on" !!

My touch pad is disabled again(kept on pressing FN + F9 but it always says DISABLED) and this time the steps above is no longer working.