My first DSLR

Danthemann

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Hey guys, im saving for a DSLR as im upgrading from my iphone/point and shoot.

I'm wanting to Spend no more than £400/$650 as this will be my first DSLR and will consider upgrades etc when i get a feel for them :)

So heres my question, what DSLR will be the better overall beginner DSLR? The D3200, D3300, D5*** Series. OR Canon EOS 600D or the 700D. You guys can suggest other DSLR's ill be very grateful.

I dont care about the camera being small i think i'd i prefer a larger one as i have huge hands :p

Thanks - Dan

Solution
With budget around $650 you've already limited your options. In this budget D3300(current) or maybe D5200(prev gen) would be best. Its more about a good lens than a good camera. Try clubbing your first DSLR with a prime lens rather than kit lens (if you can afford). Avoid 18-55mm kit lens.
NIKON D3300 - absolutely fine for big hands.
About specifications NIKON d3300 - no OLPF (hence sharper images), expeed 4 (hence faster shooting)
About NIKON and CANON
NIKON is like windows (you can do lot more)
CANON is like mac (less freedom)
After a while when you'll comfortable with shooting, you will be wanting more setting to play with. NIKON does win in this section.

PEACE

spike15_mk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I would go with D3200. My friend bought it . It is very decent camera. Personally I have D5100 and I am very satisfied. So whatever you choose you will be OK :)

Cheers

engineersnitk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
With budget around $650 you've already limited your options. In this budget D3300(current) or maybe D5200(prev gen) would be best. Its more about a good lens than a good camera. Try clubbing your first DSLR with a prime lens rather than kit lens (if you can afford). Avoid 18-55mm kit lens.
NIKON D3300 - absolutely fine for big hands.
About specifications NIKON d3300 - no OLPF (hence sharper images), expeed 4 (hence faster shooting)
About NIKON and CANON
NIKON is like windows (you can do lot more)
CANON is like mac (less freedom)
After a while when you'll comfortable with shooting, you will be wanting more setting to play with. NIKON does win in this section.

PEACE

Solution

prit87

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
get the cannon 60d its old model but it can beat all the dslr you have mentioned and it will fit your budget ........its cost less than 700d where i live i dont the price in UK but if u can afford it it will a great buy .....the one thing better for 700 d that it has a touch screen display.

Danthemann

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Ok i think im not gonna get the kit lens with the Camera, should i get a 50mm 1.8 Lens for an all rounder lens? Also, i heard if i choose the D3300 i cant use Bracketing?

engineersnitk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
yes a 50mm 1.8 will be a perfect start for now.
yes D3*** series does not have auto bracketing feature. But you can always go for manual bracketing (for static scenes, otherwise it would be pain in a**).

Note: The D3300 has a two-shot "HDR Painting" scene mode, however as you may expect from the name, the results are rather impressionistic.

I suggest you must visit a store once for a quick demo. And if you are into bracketing/HDR so much you might wanna consider D5200.

bonamin

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
I personally prefer Canon over Nikon. They are practically very closely matched. Canon is what I personally picked considering some personal research and beliefs. I even liked the name more.

What "engineersnitk" said about Canon being Mac, and Nikon being Windows is totally inaccurate. Other than IN-CAMERA image enhancement edits, the Nikon brand has nothing more to offer. IF you know nothing about Photoshop, Lightroom, or any Image Editing whatsoever, and you are going to use Straight-Out-Of-The-Camera JPEGs then go with the Nikon. If however you intend to use your camera's full potential, shooting RAW format, and editing your shots, in Photoshop, then all the "in-camera" goodies, are skipped for a finer and more precise procedure done by Photoshop.

Example: YES, there are some great noise reduction features in some cameras, but have you ever tried Imagenomic's Noiseware?

Other than that, basically at the same price range you are looking at:

Nikon: Slightly Better Noise performance for the Nikon due to slightly newer sensor technology. Some more MegaPixels to play with.

Canon: Slightly Better Autofocusing / Metering mechanisms. Slightly Better User Interface and Ergonomics. As a Noob, I could use a Canon 1 minute after I picked it up. That's not the case with Nikon. Plus Canon is also known to be Tougher.
( Plus although they are quite close, Canon's Glass is superior. )

PS. As for the lens, if it's your ONLY lens, DON'T go with a 50 1.8. Using a Crop Sensor camera ( which you intend to buy ) the 50 will act as a 75-80mm. That Focal Length is not suitable for everyday photography, and almost forbidden for indoors. Plus the Sharpness of these cheap 1.8's wide open is retarded. I DO OWN a 50 1.8. My suggestion would be this: Go for the Kit 18-55, AND a 50 1.8. You can do great portrait, video or low light photography with the 1.8 but it WILL bust your nerves if it's your only lens.

PS2. If that's any worth, I have used a Nikon 3100 in the past, and currently I own and use (daily) a Canon 650D. I got more than 100K Clicks, so I can assure you that is a good camera.

engineersnitk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
@bonamin When it comes to the question of Nikon vs Canon, there are lots of heated debates over the Internet.
its good to know that you own both brands.

About being MAC and Windows, i'm not trying to suggest that one is better than the other because that would be idiotic. Both OS's are perfect in handling every task being given to them. It goes similar with these brands. ITS MORE ABOUT HOW COMFORTABLE YOU ARE USING THESE CAMERAS.

About PHOTOSHOP, LIGHTROOM or any other image editing software. Being a beginner you may or may not know how to use these. But i'm sure you're not gonna use these on every single photo. So if Straight-Out-Of-The-Camera pictures are good enough: JOB DONE.

About KIT lens. 18-55mm is not doing justice to its Expeed 4 image processor. you are welcome to look for other reviews too. So PRIME is what i would suggest for initial one time investment.

i do not know how you could you pitch forward canon 650D against NIKON D3300. here's take a look :
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-650D-vs-Nikon-D3300
canon 650D is 1.5 times the cost of NIKON. (anyone can google specs)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-650D-Digital-Camera/dp/B0089V4CJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409421987&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+650d
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3300-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B00HQCW7TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+D3300

It is about how good you can deliver within limited resources.

At the end of the day it depends on you HOW GOOD YOU ARE, camera or lens is just a tool.

bonamin

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
Indeed it's your hand that will define the photo, but an easier to use camera will help you achieve maximum potential. A hard to use camera will give you a headache and probably limit your ability to take great shots. That was my point.

As for the kit lens vs Prime, I had to make that choice too, and I do own both now, and although the prime stopped down to f/3.5+ is extremely sharp, you just struggle with tight environments and indoors. It all depends on what you want to shoot. Personally I shoot all types of photography, and the 50 is marvellous for portraiture, but how can I shoot landscapes with that? You do need a wide angle for that purpose.

As for the Specs, they do not indicate as I mentioned before, ease of use, durability, providied peripherals etc. When you buy your first DSLR you don't just buy a camera. You buy a platform to build on. One should consider all variables before purchasing. For me it was the L glass that made the difference.

PS. So to conclude, these two systems, Canon vs Nikon are so closely matched that one will probably not regret his choice, in picking one over the other.