My laptop goes bezerk if I move it

athosbr99

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
I have a Dell Vostro 5470 laptop. For a while this was bugging me and making me impossible to use it: if I move it or touch on the right side, it stops working. It varies on random BSODs, screen "sparkling", frozen screen or just reboot out of the blue. Sometimes it doesn't even turn on (the 3 leds goes up and nothing happens).

I've changed RAM and HDD and this still persists. It happens randomly and its hard to diagnose and show to people. Some people bet the BGA went bust and it went FUBAR.

What can I do?

athosbr99

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

on the left

57911620-6.jpg

athosbr99

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

the biometric reader and the hard drive

maxresdefault.jpg

athosbr99

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

the simplest touch sometimes cause it (if it is turned on). if I don't move it, it never happens

the case is aluminum

That system may still be in warranty, did you check with Dell support? You very likely have a lose connector that shorts out the system when moved a bit and makes contact.

Try putting it on an antistatic mat and see if that helps with the shutdown. Also reseat the connections to the hard drive and the RAM. Make sure the battery is not too loose.

athosbr99

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

it isn't on warranty anymore. it happened when it was, but ePSA claimed something wrong with RAM and they just changed it. after a while it happened again (when the warranty ended)

That has almost 0 chance of working but can't hurt to do it. If the issue happens only when the system is moved a bit, and only then I don't see how a BIOS update can do anything. That may just be a general "if there is an issue, try a new BIOS" reply. I read quite a bit of support replies and a lot of times the reply has almost nothing to do with the issue, just a standard list of things to try for any general issue. So you'd see the same reply to a hard drive issue as you would to a video card issue as you would a RAM issue.