My laptop is not booting from a bootable USB drive [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyper Man

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
Guys!

I have a Toshiba Satellite U940-B484 (PSU6VV). It has windows 8 on it, but I'm trying to install Windows 7 instead through a bootable Windows 7 usb drive.

The problem is, the laptop isn't booting from the usb drive, no matter what. I checked the bios booting selections many times, and the priority was for USB Flash Drive, but still the laptop isn't responding to that!

Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks,

P.S.

I tried the USB flash drive on another laptop, and it worked smoothly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I figured it out!

It appears that I have to change the Boot Mode to "CSM" or "Legacy" instead of "UEFI."

CSM or Legacy selection are for booting Windows 7, I think, and the UEFI selection is for Windows 8.

Thanks Mr. lewisaro1. I appreciate your efforts.

Hyper Man

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

I tried the USB flash drive on another laptop, and it worked smoothly!

Hyper Man

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
I figured it out!

It appears that I have to change the Boot Mode to "CSM" or "Legacy" instead of "UEFI."

CSM or Legacy selection are for booting Windows 7, I think, and the UEFI selection is for Windows 8.

Thanks Mr. lewisaro1. I appreciate your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

sameer141

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
right now in my laptop windows 7 is installed but i want to install kali linux but it is not booting from pendrive i have made the pen drive bootable with universal usb installer pls any one help me

neaumusic

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Hey guys, I spent days trying to figure out wtf I was doing wrong, it ends up that the Kingston Usb 2.0 Datatraveller DOESNT WORK!!!! I cant believe it took me so long to try another USB stick (this time 3.0, even though it doesnt actually transfer at max speed) AND OMG NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY TO SEE WINDOWS BOOTABLE!!!! Make sure that your USB bootable shows on a working computer before trying the new BIOS (I assumed I didn't configure Legacy, UEFI, or any of the million options correctly)

Simply put -- Make sure your USB is not Kingston 2.0!!! And try on a working computer before a new one!

prongs

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue in HP 630. Not sure how to change the boot mode in BIOS setup

Matt_3

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
If you want to Install windows 8 and above, with a main UEFI partition you sometimes have to format the usb stick as fat 32. I had mine ntfs and I when I went to legacy boot, but it could not see the UEFI partition.

I'm sure I don't have it totally correct but that is one answer I have found on the net. Sometimes the bios will not see it if it is formatted as ntfs.

ivo_sgem

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
Hi, guys try my solution when u start press F10/F11 for boot options and if u see categories as removable, hard , CD and etc. Don't choose removable choose hard u will see your hard and USB stick......

DaveHamerson

Estimable
Oct 3, 2015
Windows 8 and higher OS uses UEFI mode and has GPT Disk Partition type by default. Therefore installing windows 7 and lower OS that is BIOS Based and uses MBR disk partition takes some proper configuration to be successful.

I ran into the same problem when I changed from Windows 10 (due to it's current flaw -the increased internet usage through background apps and system updates) to windows 7.

Although it is marked solved, I still taken the time to add my comment hoping to help future readers of this thread.

UEFI has feature called safe boot which adds extra layer of security to loader and it prevent booting from external sources like bootable USB Drive or CD. Therefore even you make Bootable flashdrive or CD it won't show up on boot menu or booting process.

Prerequisite:
Backup all your necessary data to an External Disk Drive/Flash Drive/ or another Unit. Do not just backup on the same disk with different partition because you might end up deleting all current partitions on the disk to install a fresh copy of Windows 7. See note below.

What we can do:
1.Disable Safe boot and change Boot Mode to CSM/Legacy BIOS Mode.
2.Make a bootable USB Drive/CD that is acceptable/compatible to UEFI.

1st Option: Disable Safe boot and change Boot Mode to CSM/Legacy BIOS Mode.
1. Load BIOS Settings page ((Head to BIOS Setting on your PC/Laptop which differs from different brands. Usually by striking [F2] key upon loading the unit and before the OS logo appears on the screen. Just search on net how to go to your BIOS settings based on your brand.)
2.Disable Safe boot option from BIOS security settings.
3.Find on your BIOS Settings about Boot Mode, change from UEFI(Unified Extensible Firmware Inferface) boot to CSM(Compability Support Mode)/Legacy BIOS mode boot. Remember that UEFI uses GPT partition type and CSM uses MBR. (Reference on GPT and CSM on link below)
4.a From BIOS Boot Order make the USB as the first priority/first boot.(Remember to revert this option after the installation to prevent future error when booting Unit with attached USB Drive on its port).
or
b. You may skip 4.a and just press the Boot Option Menu Key before OS logo appears during booting. It's usually [F8] or [F10] or [F11] or [F12] on the most brands. Then select USB from Boot menu from options.
5. Save and exit from bios
6. Boot from installer and Install OS.

Note:
If your current OS is windows 8 or higher, as I said it uses GPT partition type disk by default not MBR thus you need to make the Disk converted into MBR or erase All Partitions until the disk is fully unallocated (means losing all your precious files) then create new partitions for your windows 7 System and Data Drive.

2nd Option: Make a bootable USB Drive/CD that is acceptable/compatible to UEFI.
1. You can find that information here from a post i saw (How to Create a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive for Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1)

Here are useful references:
UEFI vs BIOS Firmware -
GPT and MBR

LphotoT

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015

This was the fix for me! Thanks!!

Hozzy20m

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016

Right PITA, all I'm trying to do is make my computer into an SSD hard drive computer!!
0) Hard disk cloning didn't work because didn't have enough cables to make it work, so installing windows from scratch.... new computers do not come with an external copy of windows installation media though, they do not have CD drives either, and they also do not come with a readable copy of the windows unique key.... instead the key is encrypted in the BIOS, so I hope that registers correctly once installation has completed.... Anyway, instructions which have worked for me below:

1) Download windows ISO file from Microsoft
2a) DO NOT create a USB bootable using Microsoft's recommended program, it does not work!! (Wasted hours trying to do this)
2b) Use a program called "Rufus" to create the Windows USB Bootable memory stick! (Worked first time)
3) Go into the BIOS of the computer (however you do that on your computer... to enter into my BIOS I have to press a hidden button inside a small hole with a pin.... bizarre!)
4) In the "BOOT" tab if it says UEFI, change this option to anything that looks like "Legacy Support".....
4a) I actually changed "UEFI" to "Allow Legacy Support" and then left the boot sequence as "Attempt UEFI first before trying Legacy Support" (I think by doing this it tries to use UEFI first but then uses the Legacy support option, whatever that is?)
5) In the "BOOT" tab move the "USB" option to the top of the boot list, then "Save Changes and Exit"
6a) The computer then boots from the USB stick....
6b) The windows logo appears quite quickly, but then "NOTHING seems to happen for about 5-10 minutes".... but then a windows installation screen appears and you can run through the installation process, (it takes AGES to copy all the files from the USB to the computer in the installation process!!)
6c) I put my old 16GB microSD card into a "microSD to USB adaptor" then put this into a USB 3.0 port in my computer so perhaps my microSD card isn't as fast as it could be, and perhaps the miscroSD to USB adaptor is also slow... it's working so who really cares :p

Anyway, hope this helps somebody

4)

Aussiewebmaster

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Funny in BIOS I can't get the USB option to be available - and am hours in now and about to copy files through command prompt and reformat c drive and reinstall windows

rimE201

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
I'm not that smart so I wouldn't be able to explain to you what I exactly did to fix it because a program did it for me.

I had the same problems with 3 of my drives
ALL THE BIOS SETTINGS WERE CHECKED AND ALRIGHT JUST AS YOU GUYS SAID IN THE FORUMS.
But it still didn't recognize my usb pen drive.

I fixed this by using a program called "Rufus"

Here's what I did

ILVWjXv.png

Status
Not open for further replies.