My laptop isn't using the correct graphics card its using the intel hd 530 instead of its Nvidia gtx 960m

HeroscapeZ

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I don't know what to do anymore. Halo 5 told me I was using the wrong card.
Attempted solutions:
Disabling intel card
result: No graphics card was used for Halo 5
Nvidia Control panel game specific 3D setting
result: in panel it said it was changed but Halo 5 said it was still using the intel 530

Its not just Halo 5, but Halo 5 tells me what card I am using so I found it a good way to test, other games have been under performing lately.

ComputerGeek21

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
so you went into the nivida control panel, manage 3d settings, program settings, found halo 5 (there will be more then one) and set it to you gaming gpu?

HeroscapeZ

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

I tried all 3 of the options, here are my results, which are somewhat confusing to me:
Auto Select(High-Performance NVIDIA Processor): Says I am using the intel 530
High-Performance NVIDIA Processor: Same as above
Integrated Graphics: Here is where I am most confused, forgive my lack of knowledge on this sort of thing, but this one seems to work fine for everything. Halo 5 does not tell me I am using a poor graphics card, and my other games on integrated seem to do fine. So is integrated my NVIDIA 960M? I assumed that integrated would be the worst, yet its seemingly the best of my 3 options.

HeroscapeZ

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

It says I have the 960M there.

HeroscapeZ

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

this? :

HeroscapeZ

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

Nope. I opened up the back panel yesterday (after taking that screenshot) to see if it was perhaps out of place or something but I don't have access to my GPU through that, so I put it back on and gave up for the night. Also, not sure if I mentioned this in my first post, but this only started being a problem once I updated my drivers through geforce experience.before I updated them it was fine, but certain games told me to update if I wanted to keep playing them and so I updated and now it doesnt seem to even exist.

edit: okay so I uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled them without updating, and while they work as the auto select for most games, some games (Halo 5 namely) dont give me any options aside from integrated and the prcocessor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 2
O Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 6
J Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 9