My laptop keeps shuting down without any warning.

ALEMA416

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Hello. I have a DELL N5010(Intel Pentium CPU P6100, 2.00GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, the battery is not working) and it keeps shutting down(crashing) without any warning or error message. It happens every day. I checked Event Viewer and it only says that the shutdown was unexpected(6008). Additional, after some minutes of use it gets very hot. Do you have any idea what is the problem? Thanks in advance!

Solution
It's overheating, and it's designed to shut down without any warning to protect the vital components from sustaining permanent damage which can be caused by continuous excessive heat.

The reason for it overheating needs to be investigated. It may simply be that the cooling vents and/or the interior is caked with dust build-up, or a hardware issue such as the internal fan being faulty and not spinning.

It's overheating, and it's designed to shut down without any warning to protect the vital components from sustaining permanent damage which can be caused by continuous excessive heat.

The reason for it overheating needs to be investigated. It may simply be that the cooling vents and/or the interior is caked with dust build-up, or a hardware issue such as the internal fan being faulty and not spinning.

Solution

ALEMA416

Estimable
May 13, 2015

Oh, I see... so will it solve the problem if I attach a laptop cooling pad? And thank you for the very quick response!

Using a cooling pad may help to alleviate the symptoms but it won't fix the internal cause of the overheating.
The correct way to deal with the overheating is to investigate the cause and get it fixed.

That may involve just a good blasting out with a can of compressed air, or a fan replacement.

A properly working laptop used on a flat, solid surface should not overheat and should not need any external cooling device.