My Laptop Won't Charge / DC Jack Problem? Please Help.

Dom_011010

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
So it's like this, My Asus laptop won't charge.
Is it the battery, motherboard (maybe)? No, why? Well when i last tried to charge it, it still had some "juice" in it and worked fine, but it wouldnt charge. I suspect either the adapter or the DC jack, but i think it's DC Jack, when i plug in the adapter, Laptops DC Jack makes this sizzling noise like it's trying to find the right position to enable the charge, if you understand what i mean.
I had this problem a day ago, it started not to work, then i fiddled a bit with a AC adapter jack in the laptop, moved it a bit, up/down, left/right, and all of a sudden it started to work, but now, that does'nt work anymore.
So people please, i ask you to help me. What could be the problem? Is it fixable? (it must be)
And how to do it?

Solution
Since moving the jack around caused it to charge again then the jack being bad is a very good probability.

Did the laptop turn off removing the battery with the plug still in?

You might just need to reapply solder, or just put a layer of solder over the metal going from the jack to the motherbaord vs fully desoldering the old jack.
If you are not familiar with dissasembling laptops or with soldering onto circuit boards though i would highly suggest taking it to a shop.

One thing else I would check first is to make sure the AC adapter is working right. Simply put a piece of copper wire into the tip so it sticks out, then touch the red lead of mutlimeter to it, and the black lead to the outside of the power plug on the adapter...
If you disconnect the battery, and connect the power adapter - does it turn on? If so, the jack is receiving power - but for some reason the battery won't charge. Could be a variety of reasons.

If however it won't turn on without the battery, or needs to be held in a certain position to actual work - then there's a very good chance it's the jack.

Should be repairable, but if the jack needs to be replaced, it'll need to be soldered on - which isn't an easy repair unless you know what you're doing..... So may cost you a decent amount via a dedicated computer repair shop (or via ASUS)

Dom_011010

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Battery is ok, and it turns on normaly. But since i can't charge anymore... If the jack need's only to be soldered on, well than, that should'nt be a problem. Since i "know what im doing" :) . Just need to get that DC Jack. Must the jack be the same or can i get a similar one??

Since moving the jack around caused it to charge again then the jack being bad is a very good probability.

Did the laptop turn off removing the battery with the plug still in?

You might just need to reapply solder, or just put a layer of solder over the metal going from the jack to the motherbaord vs fully desoldering the old jack.
If you are not familiar with dissasembling laptops or with soldering onto circuit boards though i would highly suggest taking it to a shop.

One thing else I would check first is to make sure the AC adapter is working right. Simply put a piece of copper wire into the tip so it sticks out, then touch the red lead of mutlimeter to it, and the black lead to the outside of the power plug on the adapter (without touching the metal of course) and make sure you read the voltage your charger is supposed to output.
Also you should ONLY use adapters made by your OEM, I have seen so many laptops fired due to cheap ebay/amazon adapters. FYI most Asus adapters (at least the ones for laptops) are made by Delta so Delta branded power adapter are fine as well.

Solution